Chapter Twelve

)))heh... so this chapter goes back and fourth a ton so it makes more sense, but it can also make it make less sense soooo... good luck! Sorry it took so long! I swear the next one won't!(((

(Greg's P.O.V.)

I slumped down in my seat, defeated. I finally got up the courage to tell him I like him and what do I do? Choke him with my tongue! I could go after him, but that would just make it worse. Sky likes his space, especially when he needs time to think.

There was no point in sulking though. I stood, and with all the pride I could muster, walked out of the parlor, nodding to the current cashier. The bell on the door rang through the shop behind me, signaling to all the customers that it was again okay to talk.

I could see Skylar down the road, his hands in his pockets, kicking a rock, or maybe just kicking his feet up.Quietly, I opened the driver's door of my truck and climbed in. The radio turned on when the key turned and all I could do was slowly reach up and turn the switch.

I pulled out my phone and left him a reminder:

To: Sky

Call me whn u get dis. we need 2 talk

I felt like a zombie the rest of the day: not seeing or hearing, or even feeling. I was actually somewhat glad for the numbness that washed over me, otherwise the pain would be overwhelming. And when the numbness faded, it was. My chest ached and I felt empty. Moving, talking, eating, all of it seemed like a waste of my time. The only thing that helped was thinking of Skylar, but he wouldn't reply to my texts.

"Ethan! Of course Ethan would know where he is." I whispered and untangled myself from the covers, sliding on pants and searching my room. My phone was on my bathroom counter; my face lit up when I saw it. I opened a new message to Ethan and frantically typed:

Whend u last talk 2 sky? is he ok? is he wit u?

 The next few minutes of my life were spent frantically pacing my room, thinking up worst-case scenarios, each much worse than the last. I was saved from the universe imploding by a buzz in my hand.

Havent seen him 2day. U ok?

Snapping my phone shut and shoving it into my pocket, I left my house, ready to apologize.

***time lapse because car rides are no fun***

 The key was in the flower pot again and I let myself in the back of Skylar's house. It felt empty, but he had to be here if he wasn't at Ethan's. I flipped on all the lights through the house and went up to Skylar's room. The door creaked open, revealing more darkness. He wasn't there at all. I ran down the stairs, out the back and buried the key back in the pot. I climbed back into my car and started the engine, on my way to our old treehouse. 

It made perfect sense. The treehouse was close to both of our houses, but it was quiet and in the middle of nowhere. Sky went all the time but it creeped me out too much to go, so I eventually stopped. 

(Skylar's P.O.V.)

The cool air whipped through the old treehouse, making it feel amazing. I smiled and let my mind drift, which ended with me thinking of a movie I couldn't remember the name of, with an actor I couldn't quite place, which bothered me for about ten minutes, well, really until I remembered about the magic of technology.

2-7-6-6, I typed, smiling at my brilliant passcode. What is it, you ask? The most ridiculously awesome people on the planet! 2- Beyonce, 7- Rhianna, 6-6- Nicki Minaj!! Something popped up as soon as it was unlocked (how ninja am I, right?), but I immediately ignored it after seeing who sent it-- not my Mom. She was the only one I was accepting calls from at the moment.