Lost Without You

(Based off of the animated movie: A Silent Voice)

(There will be little to none spoilers so it is okay to read this without watching the movie first)

(No quirks)

Code - F(?)

Three Years Ago

Shoto Todoroki stared blankly out of the window of the classroom. He sighed deeply and admired the pretty leaves of the trees outside of the school. His teacher was out of the classroom for some unknown reason and his classmates were acting crazy.

Katsuki Bakugo, one of Shoto's classmates, was being bratty as usual. He had one foot up on his desk and he was bickering away with some of his friends. He was talking smack about this one student from another class and his annoying tag-alongs were agreeing with him. 

Shoto kept on staring out of the window until he heard footsteps. That must be his teacher. He shifted his gaze to the chalkboard, where his teacher was standing with a small boy by her side. Suddenly, everybody in the room went silent and kept their stares directed at the boy.

"Attention class," his teacher's voice called out. "We will be having a new student joining us today. His name is Izuku Midoriya. Please treat him with respect and kindness."

The boy, Izuku, had fluffy green hair and big green eyes that sparkled with either excitement or nervousness. Shoto couldn't tell. He had cute freckles on his rosy cheeks. He had a notebook in his hands. He flipped to a page and held it up for his new class to see.

Shoto leaned forward and his eyes widened at what he saw.

Izuku had written a few words on the notebook in what looked like a black pen. 

'Hello. My name is Izuku Midoriya and I am deaf. Whenever you want to talk to me, please write whatever you want to tell me in this notebook.'

The class was silent for a while, making Izuku's cheeks flush with awkwardness. 

Katsuki blinked.

"So," he said, making his voice loud. "You can't hear?"

One of his classmates, Ochako Uraraka hit his arm. "Obviously dummy! He's deaf!" she said sharply.

Katsuki smirked. "Oh? Then can he hear this?" he asked, turning his gaze to Izuku.

"Hey Izuku!" he shouted, making everyone cover their ears. "Can! You! Hear! Me?!"

His teacher glared at him and put her hands on Izuku's shoulders.

"Katsuki! Be nice!" she scolded. Her expression then changed as she took Izuku's notebook and wrote something in it.

Shoto couldn't see what she had written but he saw that Izuku nodded. He then walked slowly and anxiously to the empty seat next to Katsuki. Izuku set his belongings down and stared at his wooden desk.

The teacher clapped her hands together. "Alright then! Let's start class, shall we?" she said enthusiastically. 

Shoto and the rest of his classmates gave half-hearted responses. He arched his neck to catch a better glimpse of Izuku.

The green-haired boy was still looking down at his desk, his hands in his lap. 

Shoto felt a wave of sympathy wash over him. He felt sorry for this kid.

He then turned his eyes away from the new student and looked back at the chalkboard, where his teacher was already busy with writing math equations.