Chapter 5 Pt.1

Heavy gusts of wind suŕounded the knights. Quickly, the wind picked up till it formed a tornado separating them from the mages they were protecting. Their horses neighed loudly, panicked. Confusion, fear and incomprehension; those were the feelings that were growing inside of their chests, every single one of them.

Outside the air flashed white, yellow then blue against the tornado's ever-whirling walls but it's winds only seemed to double in strength. There was a sudden flash of green, the earth shook earning a stiffled gasp from Adrien.

Brandon motioned his horse towards Adrien. They were knights not mages, they could do nothing against this magical giant stagnant tornado except waiting. Frustrated, Brandon was sure anyone of his comrades could loose his calm at any minute.

" If it were not for that wretched mercenary abducting Gawain, we wouldn't be here. " Eugene remarked.

" Hell, right! " Helio added.

Brendan side-glanced at Eugene and smiled to himself. ' He must be frustrated because he didn't get to see Princess Selene for two whole weeks. They're lovers after all.'

He put a hand on Adrien's shoulder and gave it a gentle squeeze.

" Don't worry everything's gonna be fine. " Brandon whispered to the younger knight.

Adrien's shoulder relaxed just a bit. " Thanks. " he muttered back, " Even though I'm sure you... you're not certain about it yourself... Still, thank you, Lord Elvengroar. "

Brendan's eyes narrowed. " You don't have to be so formal around me in someone else's presence, Adrien. We're close friends after all. "

" Y-yes ? " the brunette stammered, feeling a bit awkward.

" Hey, you two lovebirds! " Helio shouted at the two younger males. " Quit chatting and come'ere. " The copper-head motioned his horse towards them. " We need to stay alert. We've been separated from the mages on purpose. And WE'RE next unless some random undead start popping up out of the blue ! "

A faint ripple of laughter washed over the small troop while Adrien and Brandon blushed at being called lovebirds but made no attempt to protest. Instead they only put some distance in between them.

- Meanwhile -

In a swift movement, Gawain slit the throat of a mage who fell limp on the ground.

" HOLY SH*T! " he heard his brother shout.

Aaron flung himself onto the earth, his cloak on fire. The platinum blonde rolled sideways avoiding a water blade from his opponent and trying, at the same time, to extinguish the flames which were biting his flesh.

He countered with wind blades however the attack was blocked by a wall of ice and he heard Gawain gasp in pain as the water mage flung the young knight a few meters away. Aaron jumped back to his feet, cloak smoking and with some burns. He winced as he felt fatigue overwhelm him due to extensive use of magic. Gawain managed to get back up too; narrowly avoiding water blades.

The tornado faltered. A few minutes later, it vanished as a cutting gale sent by Aaron ended the fire mage. The knights were free.

Gawain scowled. In the blink of an eye, the ravenette stabbed his opponent in the heart and left the remaining mage chocking in his own blood due to the hole that was pierced in his throat.

The young knight found his brother on his knees. The latter was panting heavily. " My legs gave out. " he apologised.

" I genuinely thought you were stronger than that, brother dearest. " Gawain remarked.

" Do you even know how much mana and energy maintaining that tornado required? " Aaron shot back wearily, "  There's no time for unnecessary chitchat and... I'll thrash you if you smirk. "

As if on cue, Gawain smirked.

" YOU. ARE. SO DEAD. " Aaron hissed.

Gawain chuckled. " Yes, yes.  As you wish. Gotta take care of that angry mob first though. " he said pointing at his former comrades. He pulled Aaron into a quick hug and for once the blonde hugged back. " Let me deal with this. " he whispered into his brother's ear.

" Wha- no! " Aaron protested.

" You trust me, don't you? "

" Gawain...Of course I do. "

" Then, please. I beg you. Let me end them myself. "

Aaron sighed.  " Fine. Just..." the blonde shook his head. " Here's your sword. Give my dagger back. "

They exchanged weapons. A voice suddenly cane from a distance.

" GIVE US GAWAIN BACK YOU WRETCHED MERCENARY!! " Helio yelled. He charged towards the duo at full speed, his underlings following in his wake.

" Oh, Aaron. " Gawain started, " prepare to face the man-killer Gorilla. "

" What?  " Aaron asked, sweatdropping as he stood up.

" Bro, could you spare the horses? " Gawain asked.

" Seriously!? What more? Flying pigs? "
Gawain nodded firmly.

" It'd be easier for me to fight them if they're on foot, ya know. " his younger brother explained

Aaron rolled his eyes but he had to admit Gawain was right. It would somehow a tad easier to take on those elite knights if they were on foot. "
You owe me one, genius. " he said.

The blonde mercenary gathered his remaining mana he had left to summon strong winds which snatched the knights away from their mounts. No matter how much they resisted, it was in vain. Aaron looked away; the sight was without a doubt...pathetic.

The blonde tried his best not to laugh when he saw his opponents dumbfounded faces as they were lifted off their horses. Gawain gawked at the scene. When the horses had finally ran past them, Aaron said:

" I thought horses were stupid yet they're still running though their mounts are...floating away. "

Gawain shook his head, " Horses aren't stupid. Just smart enough to know when to run for their lives. "

Aaron sighed. He let down his arm and the knights landed abruptly on the ground with the loud ' thuds.'

" Distance? " he asked

" How do you expect me to judge the distance at night? " Gawain shrugged.

" An estimation then? "

" Three to four metres away. Plus, we're on an equal footing now. "

" How is it equal? " Aaron exclaimed.

Gawain raised an eyebrow, " Oh yeah, you're a mage but a tired one. "

" Tch. Don't underestimate me! " Aaron retorted, feeling offended.

-----------

BWAHAHAHAHA!

LOOK WHO'S BACK AND SUCKS AT WRITING FIGHT SCENES! YAY!

Hello everyone, it's been a while since the last update. Are you even still reading this? Whatever. I'd like to thank you guys for reading this story.

As my very first Fantasy book, I love this story and I hope that once it finished, I'll be able to rewrite a better version of After Dark. In the meantime though, After Dark's very first and magnificent cover was made by the talented an-tan_

Thank you so much for the beautiful cover!!

There won't be a re-write before gretting down to the ' Extra book' of course!

Don't hesitate to comment too.

Until the next update.

Blaze, out!