Chapter 14

"There's nothing to tell, Julia!" Jade sighed exasperatedly for the umpteenth time.

"Oh don't give me that!" Julia persisted, wiggling her eyebrows. Looking for an excuse to hide her flushed face; Jade turned away from her best friend and pretended to apply makeup.

"Come on Jade, admit it. I saw you last night," Julia said, moving to sit by the window. Jade spun around. "No you didn't," she said, trying to sound sure.

"Yes, I did. He dropped you off and kissed you in the rain" Julia hugged herself wistfully. "It was so romantic. He's so handsome and-"

Jade flung the powder brush at her, bringing her out of her haze. It was no use lying, she'd been caught. "Julia, you can't tell anyone" she wrung her hands together.

"Ah! I knew it was true" she grinned from ear to ear.

"Please you have to promise me, Julia" Jade knew her friend was bad at keeping secrets.

"I won't tell, but you have to tell me exactly what happened"

"Nothing happened!"

"It didn't look like that from where I was standing. In fact I started to think you two were doing more than just kissing"

"Julia!" she turned scarlet, embarrassed. Julia shrugged and picked up the powder brush.

"Were you the only one who... you know saw?"

"Yes. I was going to say hi, but obviously you were too busy to notice me."

Jade groaned.

"I'm going to work"

"You mean you're going to see him?" she teased.

"I'm going to be late for work, where you should be," she said, bending to pull on her shoes.

"Oh, you won't be late"

Jade raised an eyebrow at her.

"He just pulled up outside" she said with a knowing look.

"What?" she shoved Julia aside and looked out the window. Sure enough, the Jaguar was parked out on the street.

"I have to go"

"I know. Anyway, your aunt sent me to tell you that she wants to see you when you get back tonight. She says she never sees your face around here," Julia informed. "Now, I know why" she added silently.

"You promised" Jade picked up her bag and paused to look in the mirror for a second before pulling Julia out of her room and hurrying downstairs. "Bye!" she said, shutting the door and walking out to the road. Nick was standing outside beside his car, speaking into his phone. The familiar thud started in her chest as she caught her first glance of him, drinking him in hungrily, even though she'd seen him only last night. He looked like a Greek god, standing there in a black suit and looking every inch the powerful male specimen he was. As she approached, he looked up and caught her eye before his eyes casually slid down her body, unabashedly looking his fill. Jade squirmed self-consciously.

He swallowed, pulling her into the crook of his arm, his cell phone hanging at his ear. Standing so close, she could hear the voice on the phone speaking. "Sir?" "Sir?" the male voice questioned carefully on the phone.

"What?" Nick barked into his phone, irritated at the interruption.

"Yeah Victor, I'll call you back later" he said and ended the call.

"Hi" Jade greeted, smiling.

"One would think you'd be freer with me now," he teased.

"I am free with you" she defended.