Chapter 10

Chapter 10

The rest of the weekend passed uneventfully, thankfully. Jade felt nervous. How would it be like on Monday? Would he even remember what happened between them? Nonetheless, Jade could not forget what happened, even if she wanted to.

Standing in the kitchen with Macy or someone else had been pure torture. Sunday evening, Ryan had been talking to her in the kitchen for fifteen minutes, Jade was ashamed to admit to herself that she hadn't heard a word of all he'd been saying. Even now, thinking of it, she still blushed to the roots of her hair. Thank God Ryan and Julia had been too busy with each other to notice and if her aunt did, she didn't say anything.

   He hadn't been in the office on Monday morning when Jade arrived. She felt something akin to disappointment. No call or messages either. She'd hastily corrected herself. After all, it wasn't as if he owed her any explanation or anything. He hadn't been in on Tuesday too. Jade had swallowed her pride and had been about to ask Jake, his right-hand man what was going on until she'd heard the receptionist discussing with another staff. They'd both been talking about how interesting the event that Nick was attending was.

     Jade felt stupid. She's was his secretary for god sakes! She went on about her duty normally. Wednesday was the same. She missed him. But she'd never admit it to herself. She supposed this ought to teach her, just as easily as he'd sauntered into her life, disrupted it, he walked out just as easily.

  On Friday, she was working late although there were still others in the building. It was almost dark when she stepped out of the building, clutching her bag and coat. Just as she lifted her face to breathe in the cool evening air, she spotted him and her heart jumped and began to race. He was staring right back at her, leaning casually against his Jaguar, which was parked just as negligently. His arms were folded and she couldn't see the expression on his face.

 Jade couldn't pretend not to see him; it was too late for that.  Courtesy demand she said hi. After all, he was still her boss. She thought wildly of what to say but in the end, her mind drew a blank. He uncrossed his arms as she descended the last steps and took a step forward. She swallowed nervously. His expression was indiscernible. His eyes raked over her and Jade became instantly self-conscious. He was now walking towards her purposely; Jade couldn't decide whether he thought she would run away. His eyes were a smouldering grey and up-close, she could see that he looked tired. There were frown lines on his forehead as he was frowning now.

What now?

 Much as Jade tried walking slowly to prolong the moment where they'd have to talk, they finally stood toe to toe. She raised her head to say hi, but she stopped at the smoldering look in his eyes. She swallowed.

"Hi" when it came out, it was much hoarser than she expected. He started and looked away. Then at once, he reached for her hand and led her to his car, walking in fast strides. At first Jade was too surprised to speak, but she slowly began to get angry.  How dare he just leave like that without a word and then come back and act as if he owned her?

 "What ar-?"

 "Relax. I just want to talk" he opened the passenger side of the Jaguar and stood behind her blocking her chance of escape. Not that she was going to anyway, she was too curious. He closed the door, went around the car and got in.

"That's all the welcome I get?" he said after a while, amusement in his voice.

"What kind of welcome did you expect?" she said trying to keep the anger out of her voice, but not quite succeeding.

"Well that put me in my place. But still, you mean to tell me you didn't think of me? Not once at all?" he faced her.

"Oh, like you? Well you certainly have a special way of showing it. With all the calls and messages" Jade wanted to bite herself. Even to her own ears, she sounded like an over bearing girlfriend.

"Is it possible that someone's jealous?" She blushed to the roots of her hair at his words.

"Because they shouldn't be. You see, I found myself spending an alarming amount of time thinking about them".

"I wasn't jealous!" she lied.

"I didn't call because I thought you wouldn't talk to me," he said.

"Well you thought well," she said.

"Well, you didn't" he said. "You should have welcomed me properly when I came"

Eyes darkening, he turned her to face him fully and lowered his lips to hers, swallowing her gasp of surprise. Jade didn't realize how much she'd missed him until he was holding her. There was no question, she kissed him back desperately. He kissed a path down her throat, eliciting a moan. Jade tried to get closer but she found it impossible in the car.

He growled in frustration and tugged at the seat belt. Then he set her away reluctantly.

"I'm sorry. I should have called."

"It's okay".

The car was silent.

"Can we go to dinner? Actually I'm hungry," he asked, unsure.

"Why haven't you eaten?"

"I just got in an hour ago," he stated.

 "You came here straight from the airport?"

"Yeah"

"Oh".

Jade couldn't explain the zing of pleasure that went through her, but as he started the car, she knew certainly didn't want to go home now.

*********************

Thanks for reading!

Please vote and comment!