Chapter16

16

Nick hummed to himself as he stepped out of his private elevator. Another crack of lightning struck the gathering clouds. Outside the building, pedestrians on the streets of New York hurried along the crowded roads, pushing and shoving, each wanting to find shelter before the pregnant skies let loose. He dropped his briefcase and settled into behind the desk. Loosening his tie, he pressed a button on the landline and dialled reception.

"Sarah, I'm in"

"Yes, sir".

Two seconds later, a knock sounded on the door.

"Enter"

The door opened and a well-dressed woman entered.

"Good morning sir," she said, moving to stand in front of him.

"Morning Sarah, take a sit," he said booting his computer.

"Messages?" he asked.

The blond middle-aged woman opened a folder and shuffled some notes in her binder and handed them over to him. Most were telephone messages; others revenue mail and documents that needed his signature. A particular envelope caught his eye. It was a document from Diaz Incorporated, requesting that Colby Inc. forward their proposed agreement. The contract was worth millions of dollars. Senor Diaz wanted another branch of operations in New York and if all went well, he'd be designing the old man's new money-making office. It was great news to start the day with.

"Let's get started," he said, putting the folder away.

"I have some notes here for you to type up," he said and began dictating. Twenty minutes later, he was through with her and Sarah stood up to leave.

"I hope you're glad to be back at work Sarah?" he asked.

"Yes, of course, sir" she answered.

"I love my baby more than anything in the world, but I still missed being at work," she said.

"Good" he tapped the desk absently.

"Have you made arrangements with the company's daycare?"

"Yes sir, all they need for Nina to come in is your signature on the permission slip" she answered.

"Bring it in with the other things I need to sign". "Oh, and I need that note on the Meyers agreement in fifteen minutes, so type it first" he instructed.

"Yes sir", she retreated, shutting the door quietly after her.

It wasn't until Sarah came back some fifteen minutes later that Nick realized he'd been staring into space for the last few minutes. He clenched his palm into a fist. Fuck.

"Sir?"

"Yes?"

"I asked if you wanted me to forward the Aztech-dealings letter for you."

"No, not yet. I still want to look over a few things"

"Ok sir" she placed a few documents in front of him. 

"That's the Meyers file and the other documents which you need to sign"

"Thank you" he picked up the documents and looked at them, stopping at one. One name jumped out of the paper to attack him.

Jade Wesson.

"Mr Colby? Sir? Is there a mistake in the typing? I'm so sorry sir, I double checked but I must have skipped that. I'll fix it right away" Sarah apologized.

Nick realized he was frowning at the paper and looking at it as though it was a bomb that was going to detonate.

"What is this?" he asked, holding the paper up.