Chapter 12

Jade felt her heart falling down down into the pits of her stomach.

"What? Are you sure?"

Glad to have a listener, Clara moved closer and leaned in, her eyes twinkling mischievously.

"Totally. The boss traveled to Spain for business, next thing you know, he was engaged. And Diaz is like the heiress to her oil baron of a father"

Her heart sunk lower. Aware that Clara was waiting for a reply, she raised her head and replied. "I didn't know that."

"And did-" the shrill of the telephone on her desk interrupted her.

"I better get that" Jade said, morose.

"Okay, see you later" Clara got off the desk and walked off.

"Hello?" Jade said, lifting the phone to her ear.

"Hello" came the soft voice, which Jade had heard only a few moments earlier. Jade sat up straighter.

"We're going to be very busy; your boss doesn't want any interruptions" her spine was now ramrod straight.

"Yes ma'am" she said.

"Good." The line disconnected.

Jade held the phone to her ear for a full minute, fighting the bitterness in her throat. He didn't even have the decency to pick the phone himself and call.

She'd acted so stupidly. Going off to think that something could be between them. Thank God for good old reality. Still, it hurt. Why? She didn't know, but it hurt to think they might be on the same bed that- that... she couldn't think about it. To think that she actually wanted to make love to him.

After two hours and no word whatsoever, her head started to pound. Feeling sick, she clutched her stomach and sped to the rest room. After throwing up and washing her face, she felt strangely empty. Too bad. She looked in the mirror, a mirthless laugh escaped her. Funny how a few hours ago, she'd been feeling like a warrior who could take on the world.

             She was coming out of the restroom when she bumped into Amanda.

"Ah! Just the person I was looking for," she said and grabbed Jade by the arm.

"Amanda, if you want me to go through anything for you, could it be later? I'm-"

"What, no. I came to drag you to lunch and I'm not taking no for an answer" she said.

"Mandy, I really want to go, but I –"

"Nope" Amanda interrupted, waving a finger in the air. "I don't want to hear it."

 She sighed and shrugged. "Okay".

"Better." It wasn't as if she was useful just sitting down and trying to picture what was going on in Nick's office. If she didn't find something else to do, she'd probably run mad.

  The air of the cafeteria was good for her, she decided. Sometime during lunch, Jade decided to act like a mature adult and try as much as possible to keep her hands to herself. Easier said than done.

****************

"What?" Nick asked distractedly for the umpteenth time. He could see that Diaz was getting frustrated. Well maybe she'd take a hint and leave. He hadn't picked up more than a handful of what she'd been saying for the past two hours. After swatting her 'innocent' attempts to seduce him, she began to lose her patience and act like a brat. 

      He was surprised. Diaz was usually the picture perfect sweet girl, which the media portrayed her to be. It'd been only a month since he'd last seen her, the day before he met Jade, at some sort of charity event or something. He couldn't help thinking that her father sent her as his representative with something else but business in mind.