Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Jade made sure the man and her aunt were far off in the other exit of the house, before sprinting up stairs to her room. She bathed and brushed her teeth before changing into a pair of black slacks and simple blouse. She went downstairs for some lunch. She was at the table eating when her aunt came in. Jade was surprised and embarrassed at what at happened earlier. 

"I'm really am sorry for showing up in your office like that, I didn't know there were clients with you" she apologized. 

Her aunt waved it aside.  

"Nicholas is practically family"

"Oh, okay then". 

"But he is a very valued client because not only does he pay well; he also recommends our agency to his business associates".  

"That's nice of him," Jade said, trying to sound uninterested, when she felt the exact opposite way.  

"He uses our temp agency, but Kate, one of the temporary secretaries that recently applied here whom I then dispatched to Mr. Colby, our client has suddenly taken ill. That was what he came to report". 

" Is she going to be alright?" 

"Yes, yes of course she will. She just needed to take some time off". 

"Well then good for her".

"But the problem now is, Mr. Colby's firm is usually busy at this time of the year, and he needs a replacement immediately" her aunt sighed tiredly. 

The worry lines on her face were prominent as she squeezed her face. 

"Is something wrong?" 

"What I have been trying to say is that; all the qualified applicants have traveled to spend Christmas with their families and have not returned.  There is no one else to go except Julia, but that would be totally unfair as she is already up to her ears in work".

Jade had a feeling she was not going to like what her aunt would say next. 

"The only person available and skilled is you. The pay is mouth-watering and you would impressive get references. Jade please, I know you just got back from California, but you also wanted to look for a job here and this is an opportunity" her aunt sighed again.

What? Jade cringed inwardly. Go work for the man that had almost seen her naked this morning? 

Well, not almost naked, but still he had seen enough skin to make her uncomfortable. She looked at her aunt's worried face and just didn't have the heart to refuse her. After all, it wasn't forever. Just until the other temporary workers got back. She could handle it. 

She would act professionally and forget about this morning.

"OK, aunty, I'll take it". 

Immediately, it was as if a light had come on in her aunt. She brightened instantly. Jade was proud of herself. 

"Thank you Jade, you're a lifesaver!" she said, hugging her niece tightly.

"So, when do I have to go in?" she asked. 

"It's already 2:00. You just go upstairs and change. I'll have Bob ready to drive you in fifteen minutes"

"I have to go in today?" she was horrified.

Her aunt squirmed. Jade sighed.

"Okay, no problem. I was just surprised. That's all.

Her Aunt looked relieved. "I'll have Bob ready to drive you in fifteen minutes"