Chapter 16

I'm really sorry for the late update. I was confused as to how to go on with the story. Well, I'll manage something!

Happy reading!

I went straight to my room and locked myself in. I took deep breaths to somehow dispel the images stuck in my head. Zach pointing a gun at me. Myself in the chair, bound. Breaking into a home. Hugging Carter. Some how the last one lingered and it was not the one that I wanted to forget. And I had no idea why. Well, some idea I had. After all I was attracted to him. I sighed. Then I undressed and took a nice, long hot shower. Carter had asked me to come back to the living room once I had freshened up, so I changed into my comfortable pyjamas and sauntered in the living room, settling onto the soft couch. Hmm. Something smells good. I guess Carter was cooking something for me.

After a while, Carter came into the room, a plate in his hand and handed it to me. I ate the food greedily. After I had finished, Carter sat in front of me and asked, "Could you go over the events?"

I nodded and told him about the date and then the trying to leave when Zach had pulled a gun on me. Then I mentioned the bounding and well, kissing and groping. And then the cutting ropes and running and breaking in. He listened carefully and after a while mentioned, "So, he too noticed it too. Observant of him."

"Noticed what?"

"You avoid touching. You're particularly wary around men."

I sighed. "Apparently, you noticed it too."

"I'm a detective, Emma. I'm supposed to be very observant. And I am."

"And I thought that I hid it well."

I looked down.

"One wouldn't notice it much, but I've been living with you for sometime now. I've noticed your aversion." After a pause he added, "I know it's none of my business, but why is it so? If you don't want to answer the following questions, it's alright. I'll understand."

I fidgeted. "Is it...important for you to know?"

"Not really."

"Okay. Fire away."

I could tell by his expression that he had been expecting me to refuse. Even I'm not exactly sure as to why I wanted to tell him. But I just did.

"Were you sexually abused as a child?"

"I suppose you could call it that."

"Okay. I'm sorry about that."

I nodded and he continued, "Was it someone you knew?"

"Yes. In family."

"Which is why you're wary of letting anyone close to you. Particularly a man. You worry that it'll turn out something like that."

I nodded again, took a deep breath and began, "It...when it all started, I had no idea what was going on. He just...said that it was a game between us. A secret and special game. It went on for a few years and when I grew up and realised what all of it was...I...I somewhat lost it. I kept screaming for so long into the pillow, I don't even remember. That's when, I couldn't allow any touch at all." I released a breath and then I added, "For years I even used to be afraid of my own father."

Silence followed. Then Carter spoke up.

"Do you blame yourself for it?"

"In a way I do. I know it's stupid, that I was just a child and couldn't have possibly known anything; and yet I keep on thinking that if only I had listened to my inner voice which had been telling me that something was wrong; I might now be a normal person. I regret it and yet it's an experience which has moulded a part of my personality which I can't hide."

Carter looked thoughtful and yet his expression was softer than I had ever seen.

"I can understand the guilt part."

I looked up at him, asking a silent question. How?

"It was my father. He was an asshole, always came home drunk. And he used to shout at mom so much. Sometimes he'd hit her. Mom used to tell me to hide in my room when he came back home, telling me to protect myself. I felt weak, useless. Now when I look by I wish that I could've done something. It was one of the reasons that I joined police. Domestic violence is a grave crime in itself."

"I'm sorry."

I can't imagine that feeling. I was blessed with loving parents who respected each other immensely. And growing up in such a broken home. I can't fathom how tough it would've been for Carter.

We sat in silence, each lost in thoughts of the past. Out of nowhere, I remembered the possible password.

"Carter, I think I know the password to that drive."

He looked at me incredulously.

"Are you sure about it?"

"What's the harm in a try?"

He nodded and took out his phone and dialed.

"I might have the password to the drive."

He looked at me, question evident on his face.

"Birdie. B. I. R. D. I. E."

He relayed the word to the person at the other line and ended the call.

"How did you know?"

"It was the only word that he had stressed on. One of the last words of his."

"Let's see if you're right."

We waited. After 10 minutes, his phone rang.

"Yeah?"

He listened for a while, a small smile appeared on his face. Jackpot.

He ended the call and spoke up, "It worked. That was the correct password. Although Scott had used multiple encryption, but they got a hint for the next password. Lets leave it to the experts." Then he added, "It's late. You should rest."

"Yeah. Good night."

"Night."

I sat up and turned, ready to go into my room.

"And Emma."

I turned to look at him.

"That was a brave thing you did. Getting out of those ropes."

I smiled at him and went to my room. I laid down on the bed and slept dreamlessly.

I woke up and glanced at the clock. 2 p.m. Well, well. It seems I was more tired than I had thought. I yawned and entered the bathroom to freshen up. Later, after that I went to the kitchen. I stopped midway though. Carter was on the phone. He looked very tense.

"Yeah, I get it. Did they put forth any demands?"

After some time went by, he spoke up again; voice higher and angrier this time.

"What?! Are you kidding me?"

"Goddammit!!" Even angrier. Pissed off in fact.

He ended the call and looked my way.

"What's wrong?" I asked him.

He sighed and answered, "They've got the DA."

"Oh. Demands? The drive?"

"Well, that. And..."

"And?"

"That guy....Zach. He wants you."

What the absolute fuck?! The nightmare hasn't ended yet.