Chapter 11

I was stunned. For something so small, so many crimes had been committed. But then information is an incredibly powerful thing. I took out my phone and dialed Carter. I listened to the continuous ringing. Why was he not picking up?! I tried again. No such luck. I sighed and backed my car. I'd meet him soon anyway. No more stops on the way. 

My phone buzzed. It was Hugh. 

"Hey Hugh!" 

"Hey, Em! Are you free next Saturday?" 

"Yes, I am." 

"Great! So the thing is...that I've been thinking that, you know, it's been a long time since Ana and I have been together..." 

I liked where this was going. May be I'll get to be a bridesmaid soon! I thought happily. 

"Go on." 

"Well, I'm planning to propose her." 

I grinned from ear to ear.

"Finally! That's amazing. I'm going to be so happy for you two!" I chirped happily. 

"I hope she'll say yes, though. It's kind of nerve-wracking." 

"Of course she'll say yes! Hugh! Come on! You two have been together since high school. You both know each other perfectly and accept each other for as you are! She loves you." 

"Well, yeah. And I really do love her." 

"That's the spirit. So, how can I help you?" 

"Well, just the ring shopping. I'm a total novice in jewelry." 

"Alright. I'll accompany you. At what time?" 

"Does 5 sound good to you?" 

"Sure. See you then!" 

"Bye Emma and thanks!" 

"No problem at all." 

I ended the call and caught myself grinning like a fool. I'm so happy for Ana. That small drive caught my sight then. My mood plummeted. This small thing! It has caused me so many troubles. I want to hand this over to Carter as soon as possible and get it out of my hair. Then finally I'll be able to go back to my old life. Quiet, if a little boring. It works for me. Besides may be I'll finally get a boyfriend. Zach's great. May be I'll grow feelings for him along the way. I do like him, it's just the kiss didn't feel like enough. I shook my head. Think about this later Emma! First priority is to get this to Carter as soon as possible.

I put on some music as I drove back to Carter's house. And I noticed it again, that same car. This cannot be a coincidence! Shit! I slammed on the accelerator, trying to put as much distance as possible in between. I looked at the side-view mirror, the car was at a distance but it wasn't enough. Panic was rising steadily. This is bad! What should I do?!

My phone buzzed in my pocket. Hurriedly, I took it out of my pocket. Please let it be Carter, please!  

I glanced at the screen. Carter. Thank God!  

I picked it up and set it on speaker.

"Carter! Why didn't you pick up your phone earlier?!" I shrieked out.

"Why are you shouting?" he said, ignoring my question.

"I'm being followed."

"Are you sure?" his tone had changed. 

"Yes!"

I heard a curse at the other end. Then he spoke, "Drive as fast as you can. No matter what you do, absolutely do not stop anywhere. Do you get me?"

"But...but wouldn't it be better if I went into a public place?"

"No. They'd take hostages and shoot innocents. Emma, they'll do anything for that information they think you have. Killing a few people? They'd do it in the blink of an eye."

"Okay! Okay I won't stop anywhere."

"I'll catch you as soon as I can."

"And Carter?"

"Don't panic Emma."

"No, it's not that. That...that information they think I have. I...I have it."

Silence. And then, "What?! How?"

"I had given my jacket for cleaning. The...the blood stains wouldn't go. The guy at the cleaners gave it to me, saying it was in my pocket. It's a pen drive which certainly is not mine."

"Damn! Do not, at any cost, let them catch you!"

"I'll try."

"I'm on my way to you."

"I'm at-"

"I know where you are." He ended the call. How the hell does he know where I am?! Then it struck me. GPS. For once, I was thankful for the fact that he was keeping tabs on me.  

I checked again. Oh no! The car was closer than before. Shit. Shit. Shit.

I swerved around so many cars, driving like a mad woman. I heard pieces of many insults thrown my way but I couldn't care less. Not when my life was on the line. And considering whatever that pen drive had, I was running for much more than just my life.  

I was on the highway now. Only a few cars drove along on it. Damn! Where was traffic when you need it?!

Suddenly, the side view mirror blasted into pieces. I looked back in horror. That guy was shooting at me! Come on Emma! Just a little while longer. Just until Carter comes close. He'd have some bullets for that guy too. I reached a road soon after, woods all around it. I looked at my back-view mirror again. Good lord! Another car was behind that SUV! Stealing a glance again, I noticed the car. It looked like a car that I had seen before. Carter! He drove a car like that. Please let it be him! I heard the sound of glass breaking. The back windshield!

After a moment, I started to lose control of my car. It was jerking around. What in the world had happened?! Heart in my throat, I tried wildly to steer away from the woods. But the car wouldn't go my way. I completely lost control and crash right into a tree. I hit my head on the wheel. Hard. God! It hurts! I touched my forehead, my fingers came back wet. Blood. My head was throbbing. I was vaguely aware of a voice. It sounded familiar. I looked out of the window. Carter. I somehow managed to open the door. He helped me out. I stumbled. I'd have fallen down if Carter hadn't helped me up. My vision was getting blurred and my head was hurting really, really bad. The last thing I remember was that I had felt Carter lift me up in his arms and my head slumping onto his chest. Then there was darkness.