Chapter 6

I couldn't sleep that night, just kept tossing and turning around. Why did it have to be me to cross the road then? I sighed. I wanted to distract myself from the fact that tomorrow some strangers will be tossing stuff around in my home, looking for God only knows what. So, I picked up a novel. Often when my life sucks too much, I find it easier to escape into another's. Somewhere in between I must have drifted off because the next thing I knew was that my phone was blaring right in my ear. I looked at the caller. Ana. She must be worried; I had skipped work yesterday and was doing so today too. It was 9.30 a.m. We were supposed to report at 8. I picked it up. 

"Mornin' Ana" 

"What's up with you, Em? You weren't there yesterday and I don't see you here today either. You're not telling me something!" 

I didn't see the point in hiding it anymore from her. But I wanted to tell her in person, not over the phone.  

"I...I'll tell you everything, say, tonight? That sounds good to you?" 

"Well, yeah. But...is it bad?" 

"Sort of. " 

"Just take care, ok?" 

"Yeah, I'll. See you tonight." 

I ended the call and looked around the room. A cupboard. A shelf filled with novels. A small mirror. All of this will be looked around. The thought made me uncomfortable but I couldn't help it. I can't refuse; they have a warrant after all. And even if I did act as if I wasn't home, I'm pretty sure Alexander Carter was a man of his word. He would kick down my door before thinking twice.  

I took a bath and dressed myself in comfortable jeans and a loose top. And then I waited for the bell to ring. At exactly 11, it did. I stood before the door, took a deep breath and then opened it. Mr. Carter along with 4 more policemen stood outside. Great, he just couldn't get any policewomen, could he? 

I silently let them in.  

"Good morning girl." 

I'm pretty sure he said so just to annoy me. I glared at him and refused to respond.  

"Don't you know it's rude not to respond to a greeting?" he said, looking smug. If I could, I'd wipe that damned smug right off his face. 

"Don't you know it's rude to call someone a girl when they're obviously past the age of one? And you know their name." I retorted. The other men didn't seem fazed by our trivial quarrel; they're probably used to this guy's manner. I'll probably call him Asshole Carter in my head. 

"Whatever. Stand wherever you please. Don't make a sound and let us do our work. Do not tell us not to search in a place, I don't care if it's personal or not. We're here to search every single corner of your little house, clear?" 

"Crystal." 

They began looking for...well whatever they were looking for. I stood at the same place, fidgeting. It was strange, looking at them shuffling through all my stuff. Please God, don't let that Carter look through my clothes. As if on cue, he made his way to my bedroom. Thank you God! For nothing! 

Exactly 1 hour and 46 minutes later all of them gathered back in the living room, gesturing to each other that they hadn't found anything. Obviously! Just one person was missing from the room. Who else but Carter? 

I was about to go into my room to check why on earth was he taking so long when one of the men spoke up. "Miss Wilson, could I have some water?" 

"Sure. Would all of you like some?" 

They nodded. I went to the kitchen and poured water in 4 glasses. Placing them on a tray, I went back to find that Carter had joined them. He looked up at me and said, "What? None for me?" I was about to make my way back when he said, "Never mind, I'll help myself." And passed by me to do so. I ignored him and served water to all the others. Even when I knew the answer, I asked them, "Did you guys find anything?"