Chapter 7

I backed away, stifling the urge to scream. If it was strange and uncomfortable watching people as they looked through your belongings, it was absolutely terrifying to see your whole living room in shambles. I turned back to the elevator, went down, looking for Ramone. He was in the same place as before but with now an alarmed expression on his face.  

"What's wrong miss? Are you alright?" he asked. 

"Someone..." I struggled to get the words out. "Someone broke into my...my home!" 

"Good Lord! Was anything taken? Did you hear any sounds?" 

I shook my head and said, "I don't know, I didn't check." 

"Come with me, miss! Call 911 while you're at it." He said, making his way to the elevator. We reached my floor and stood before the entrance, with me behind Ramone. He nodded at me and went inside, his swagger stick ready. I immediately called 911. 

"911, what's your emergency?" 

"My house has been broken into!" I about shrieked into the phone. 

"Calm down miss. Please tell me your name and address." 

I recited my address into the cell phone. 

"Very well. The police will be on its way soon." 

By then, Ramone had returned and shook his head, indicating that no one was inside. I sighed in relief and told him, "I called 911; they said the police will be on their way. I...I'll go and check if anything was taken." 

"Okay miss. Be careful. Don't step on the broken glass. I'm right outside."  

I nodded and made my way straight to my bedroom, bile rising in my throat as I saw every belonging on the floor, strayed across. Oh Goddess! All my books strewn on the floor, clothes in disarray. My vision blurred as tears fell down my cheeks. And I knew; I just knew that nothing had been taken, because whatever they were looking for wasn't there. That information Carter had mentioned.  

Unbidden, Mr. Newell's words played over in my mind; "...there were others who were looking for that information. Dangerous people who wouldn't think twice before killing anyone for it. If somehow they get to you..." 

My phone rang loudly, breaking the silence and my line of thoughts. I glanced at the screen, an unknown number displayed. I picked it up. 

"Your home has been broken into?" a deep voice came from the other end. Carter. 

"Yes." 

"I'm coming over." he said and ended the call. It seems that all information pertaining to me was being imparted to him. I didn't know what to make of the fact that was he was keeping tabs on me.  

A couple of minutes later I heard the police siren. A couple of policemen came in soon after. One of them asked, "Were you the one who made the call?" 

I nodded.  

"Was anything taken?" 

"I searched but no, nothing seems to be missing." 

He gestured the others to go inside. At about the same time, Carter came in. Looking around the shambles, his expression hardened. His eyes found mine and it softened, almost imperceptibly so, and he made his way over to where I was standing. 

"Quite a day it has been for you, hasn't it Ms. Wilson? Are you alright?" he asked. 

"A bit shaken up but yes, I'm okay." 

"I have some questions to ask Ms. Wilson here. You can join the others." he said to the man. He nodded and went into another room. 

"It seems that the ones who had gotten to Scott have reached your home too. And they too believe that you have what they want. You're in a somewhat dangerous position right now girl."