Chapter 10

I got out of my car, thoroughly confused with my feelings. I enjoyed the date with Zach. He was funny, charming and was genuinely interested in me. And yet when he had kissed me, it just didn't feel right. It wasn't bad, good actually but it didn't invoke the feelings in me that I had hoped it would. And Carter, he had just held me for some time in my weakness and yet in that half-hug I'd felt much more. What in the world was wrong with me? I wondered as I unlocked the door. I stepped inside and looked around. No Carter. Phew! Without making a sound, I entered my room and sat down on the bed. 

After a while, my phone buzzed. Ana. I picked up. 

"So, how was it?" she asked, excitement filled in her voice. 

"It went great. We went to this great Italian restaurant. Since I was new to the place, I asked him to order for me. He had already ordered some white wine. And, oh Ana! I accidently spilled some on him. I was so embarrassed after that!" 

"Leave it to you to do something so clumsy on your first date!" Ana laughed. 

"Well, it was okay or so he said. He even joked about it, saying that he'd choose a slightly longer table the next time. And then he told me how he had been planning to ask me for some time now. He told me about his family too. Her sister is a famous model, you know! Doesn't surprise me, she's Zach's sister after all." 

"True that. Then?" 

"I too told him about my family and how this was my first date in ages. He looked surprised at that, he had thought that I already had a boyfriend! I told him that I thought the same about him too. After that it was just somewhat about work and our likes and dislikes. Did I mention that he'd given me the most amazing bouquet of calla lilies?!" I told her looking at the white and purple lilies that I had arranged in a vase after coming back. 

"Good choice!" 

"I know right! Then we ate in companionable silence. He dropped me back at home. I was so nervous, Ana! I didn't know what to do! Then he got out of the car, opened the door for me. He asked me out on a second date too. And then he kissed me." 

"Nice! But then...then why do you sound like that?" 

"Because Ana, I didn't feel much when he kissed me! It was good and all but not like I had imagined. It was just...missing something." 

A pause. 

"Also, I might have a crush on Carter." I whispered. 

"Whoa! What? Two days ago you couldn't stand the guy and now you have a crush on him? What gives?" 

I told her about my nightmare and how I felt when Carter had held me. 

"Oh Emma! But you and Zach would look so good together. Although I think you and Carter would look even better." 

"I don't know Ana. It's just weird. Besides nothing's going to happen with Carter, about that I'm sure." 

"You never know." 

"Besides, it's just a crush. It'd pass." 

"Yeah, well. You just rest! And do go on that second date. Maybe it'll be better the second time around. If not, just say no." 

"Okay, I'm gonna sleep now. Bye Ana." 

"Bye, Em." 

I changed the clothes, washed my face to remove the make-up. And then stared at my reflection. Great! Finally a guy asks me out on a date and I develop a crush on a jerk. I went back to the room and lay down on the bed. Soon, sleep claimed me. 

I woke up to the sound of my phone ringing loudly. Who the hell calls on a Sunday morning?! Looking at the time, it was actually noon. But it's morning for me when I wake up! I picked it up. 

"Hello, Emma Wilson?" 

"Yes, this is she." 

"Ms. Wilson, I'm calling from DeAngelo cleaners. Your jacket is cleaned. Please collect it before 5." 

"Okay." 

I ended the call and frowned at my phone. What jacket? And then it hit me. The one I was wearing on the day of the incident. I had tried to remove the dried blood stains but they hadn't gone completely. That's why I had given it in the hands of professionals. 

Yawning, I went to the washroom and freshened up. And then went to the kitchen. 

"Just for how long do you sleep?" 

I looked at Carter who was munching on something. 

"It's Sunday." As if that was an explanation enough. 

"I had to make lunch even when it was your turn." 

"Sorry, I'll make the next two meals." 

"Three." 

"Not fair!" 

He shrugged. Since when had shrugging become so sexy? Damn it! No Emma, no. Remember he's Carter. Asshole Carter. 

We ate in silence. 

"Do you usually work late?" 

"Crime can take place at any time and it's usually in the night when it strikes. Sometimes I don't sleep until morning. Or at all." 

"Sounds hard." 

"It is." 

I nodded and collected the plates to wash them. 

"Are you going to head out today?" he asked me. 

"Yeah." 

"Restock the fridge, will you?" 

"Okay, I'll make a stop at the supermarket." 

He nodded and entered his study room. I suppose being a detective was a full-time job. 

I bathed and changed to go. Checking that I still had the receipt for the jacket, I exited the building. I made my first stop at the supermarket. Good lord! The rush on a Sunday. It took a long time till my turn came. I took the stuff and kept it all in the back of my car. I backed up my car and went on with the way to DeAngelo. I stopped at the traffic lights which was when I noticed it. A deep-blue SUV. Wasn't that the same car that I had noticed when I was about to reach the supermarket? Was it only a coincidence? Or was I really being followed? I prayed that it was just my imagination. Still, I drove faster than normal. Soon, I reached DeAngelo. I looked back for any of the SUV but didn't find any car like that. I sighed with relief. It probably was my imagination. I entered the shop and handed the guy behind the counter my receipt. He nodded to me and went to the back of the shop. He came back after a few moments, with a neat plastic bag which had my jacket. 

"Here you are, Ms. Wilson!" 

"Thank you." 

I had already paid for it, so I simply took the bag and started towards the door. 

"Oh, Ms. Wilson! Wait." 

I looked back, confused. 

"I almost forgot to give this back to you. I found it in your pocket. Such a small thing really. Thank God we found it before the wash; otherwise you might have lost whatever you have on it." 

He handed me a small paper packet in my hand. 

"Uh, thank you." 

I left the shop and entered my car. Curious, I opened the paper packet, upside down towards my open palm. A small, black rectangular object fell onto my palm. I took a closer look. And I felt all the blood drain from my face. This was what Alvin Scott was killed for. For what my home had been searched for and been broken into. What Carter suspected I had. 

A pen drive.