Feeling Safe

As soon as the words 'with me' escaped Harley's mouth, he guided me through the bark door to his room.

I didn't even have time to register my surroundings.

"Sorry," he said. "I didn't think you wanted to be scrutinised after the ordeal you've been through..." He raised his hands empathetically.

"Thank you," I answered, suddenly realising the extent of my nervousness as my hands began to shake. I balled them into fists, I was safe. Harley had saved me.

I gave myself a self concious glance, and realised I was in desperate need of a bath, where I could scrub off the grime and consult my thoughts.

"Is there anywhere I could go to get this dirt off?" I asked.

"Of course, you can use my bathroom, it's just to the right. Use what you like."
I smiled in gratitude, until I looked at my clothes and shyly had to ask. "Um, I'm so sorry to ask but..." I tugged on the end of my grimy shirt sleeve, covered in holes. 

"Ah," He nodded, rushing over to his chesnut dresser unit, opening the compartments. "We can send those you're wearing for laundry, and they'll repair them also," As he spoke, he found one of his dark shirts and gingerly held it up. "Is this alright?" He asked.

Nodding, I gave him a polite smile and gave a glance to the door we had both come through. Harley brushed past me and brandished a rusted golden key, the metallic click suddenly becoming a comfort. Knowing I would be slightly more safer I went into the bathroom, closing the door behind me. Filling the bath with warm water, I lowered myself into it as steam clouded the mirror.

I couldn't help the audible moan of pleasure as the warm soapy water seeped into my pores attempting to clear them of dirt.
However, I wouldn't allow myself any moments of calm until I had scrubbed any remnants of Hook and my journey back here away. I washed my skin until it turned a shade of pink, and did the same to my hair until the healthy shine had returned.

Standing, I looked down at the water as I emptied it, and then dressed myself in Harley's shirt. I wondered why he even had a shirt when he usually goes around shirtless. Maybe it's for when he needs to get away from camp, I wasn't so sure. But as I pulled it over my head, I inhaled the smell which was pure Harley.

Running my fingers through my hair, I left it at wet loose waves, as I didn't think Neverland would be able to provide me with a hairdryer. After the events i'd been through, a hairdryer was the last thing on my mind.
Finally deeming myself presentable, I walked back into the bedroom, drowsiness already beginning to claim me.

I gave Harley a sleepy grin as he walked past me into the bathroom, giving me a smile in return.
As I stood in the room alone, I heard Harley filling the bath as I glanced around, looking for somewhere to sleep. The only place I could see was his double bed, and it must have been exhaustion setting in as I climbed under the covers.

And then, I was truly alone with my thoughts, with no job to do to distract me.

I shuddered at the thought of reliving the past few weeks, so I decided to focus on the present, the here and now.
Lets begin with the fact that I was in Harley's bed. Did he expect us both to sleep here? If I slept in this bed this time, it would be a concious decision that I had made... Surely this action would mean that there was something between us?
What if he came in and kicked me out of the bed?
He's a gentleman, and either way I could go and sleep in the bed where I first arrived, if I could find it.
My eyes had drifted shut, and under the light covers I drew myself up into the foetal position as memories of home washed over me.

So much for avoiding the past.

Images of my mother, father and Angus flitered into my mind. At the sight of them I let out a choked sob as a lone tear streaked down my cheek.

I missed them so much, it was turning into a physical ache.

I laid there for what seemed like an endless space of time, until a warm pair of arms wrapped themselves around my waist and Harley held me in his arms, his soft breath on the back of my neck. His hands joined around my stomach as he pulled me closer to him, his body tucking into mine.

I turned around in his safe embrace, and he carefully wiped the tear away. As his skin touched mine, it almost made me shiver. Emotion welled up inside me, and I couldn't help the tears which filled my eyes, joining the previous ones which were unshed. Reaching out my hand, I brushed my thumb against his cheek, just like when we had fought off the thugs, and this time it was just as personal. His arms had returned to their original position of being locked around my waist.

As I cleared my throat I asked "Where do you want me to sleep?" Desperately trying to remember where the bed I had slept on previously was.
"Right here," He murmured and pulled me even closer to him, until I didn't even need the covers as Harley was doing a perfectly fine job of keeping me warm. Snuggling into his chest, I allowed sleep to take over as his fingers drew patterns on my back through the silk of his shirt, feeling safe once again.
*****
Short and sweet update for you here, as mock exams are coming up as well as pressure and revision. Thank you to all who have stuck with me through this, and I apolgise for the squishy update... Any comments are appreciated :D 

Lucy, x