Chapter 14

Link dropped him then. He took a step away from him, calming himself down. The exhaustion he had felt just minutes before was now much less. He took a deep breath, regaining himself, but when he looked back over at the reflective substance, those demonic red eyes still looked back at him. He got worried then, unsure of what to do. He looked over at Midna, who still floated there silently. She gave him a sympathetic look, but shrugged.

He needed to get to Zelda. She would keep him here, make him stay Link.

He kicked Dark Link away from him as he walked past him, and he flew sideways. Link was stronger now, but he hated it. He didn't want to be stronger because of this.

He walked quickly up to two huge doors. He only paused for a second before pulling on them.

Nothing,

"Oh, you have got to be kidding me. Nothing can be easy, can it?" He asked aloud,

"Link, keep yourself calm. That's the best option right now," Midna said, floating beside him,

"Why didn't you help me back there?" he suddenly asked her,

"He's your shadow. Only you can beat him. But don't get sassy with me, just hurry up and get in there!" She flew back down into his shadow. He rolled his eyes before turning back and pounding on the door.

A small rattling of chains sounded from the other side.

"Midna, change me please," He said, trying to stay calm. It was strange to be in this state of mind. He didn't have anything to be angry at, and he knew that, but he was still infuriated. He wished for it to end.

Midna didn't reply, but suddenly he was on four paws. He started forward, but then she landed heavily on his back. He grunted, surprised by the extra weight. It had been awhile since she had been on his back.

This only slowed him for a moment. Then, he leaped forward and started digging. After several seconds, he had only made a slight difference in the hard dirt. He didn't stop though. He kept digging with the same speed and determination, long past when he would have normally been exhausted.

He heard the chains rattle quietly once again. He stopped for a second, looking at how much progress he had made.

Not much.

The dirt had been worn away about a half-inch down,

"Link, this isn't going to work. You'd have to be digging for days straight, and the chances that nobody would come by in that entire time is none. We need another idea." Link huffed and sat down. Sometimes, that princess really got on his nerves. Particularly when she was right and he was being stupid.

But then he got mad. He got mad that he couldn't save her like he was supposed to. He was mad that Midna was back with him and was back to telling him how much of an idiot he was being. He was mad at Dark Link, who could never seem to stop tormenting him, and now had made him into...whatever he was. He was even mad at Zelda, who didn't listen to him when he tried to protect her, which had resulted in her being locked away here.

Even though he knew these feelings weren't completely his, it REALLY felt like they were.

Link barked harshly, since he was unable to speak.

His triforce was still glowing on his paw, but the golden light looked as if it had a film over it, dulling the vibrance. Somehow, he was even mad at that.

He felt energy pulse through him, and he started digging again madly. He made twice the progress now. Just like happiness made a light-dweller's powers stronger, angerness made a Dark-wait, what? No, he wasn't Dark.

Right?

He pulled himself out on the other side just a few minutes later. Midna came up after him, oddly quiet. She silently turned him back, and he stood up quickly. He held up his hand, looking at the triforce. What surprised him, was that there was a red glow also reflected onto his hand, seeming to come from his eyes. He closed his eyes immediately, struggling to pull himself back. It was harder to do so surrounded by darkness though.

Zelda. Her soft, beautiful hair. Her smile that gave him butterflies. Her kindness that could bring out the better in almost anyone. He loved everything about that wonderful Queen, which was why he was standing there, with a second earring and as the King. She was the reason for everything.

That is what he thought of.

He felt himself being drained of the anger and hate, and the energy that came with it. He slowly opened his eyes again and looked over at Midna,

"Better. Blue really does fit you more than glowing red, I must say. Now, come on. I'm pretty sure Zelda's getting a bit tired of waiting for you," She flew back into his shadow, and he breathed a sigh of relief. He looked around, and what first caught his eyes was a gross bowl of...cookies?

"Why in Hyrule do they have cookies here?" Link muttered to himself before running ahead.

He immediately found where she was.

"Zelda!" He ran towards her.

Her face shot up, immediately flooded with so much relief it broke his heart.

He dropped to his knees in front of her and hugged her, a few silent tears sliding down his face. She held onto him tightly.

He pulled back slightly, looking at her. He was suddenly furious, even without those creepy eyes,

"What the hell did they do to you?" He asked, sounding calmer than he was. She didnt respond,

"Zelda, please. Tell me," He insisted, holding her face with his hands gently, and looking into her eyes.

"I-I'll tell you later," She finally responded, sounding hoarse and in pain,"Can we just get out of here?" Midna came forward and shot energy at her chains, which slowly came off. Her Twilight power wasn't as effective as Dark power would be, but it worked much better than if he had tried Light power on it. Who knows what would have happened?

He picked her up gently, and when he turned around, Midna was hovering next to a portal like the one he had came through,

"Time to go, Love birds," She said, but her sarcasm seemed a bit forced,

"What about you? How will you get out of here?" He asked,

"Oh, don't worry about that. I've got a few tricks up my sleeves," She said, smirking. That's when it hit him,

"When will we see you again?" He asked, walking towards her.

She sighed and floated to the ground, snapping her fingers. A light that was neither light or dark blinded them momentarily, before Midna stood before them in her real form,

"We're not. That is, if you can handle the Light Realm yourselves. I'm...pretty.. sure you can," She said, smiling sadly at him.

He sat Zelda down gently before hugging Midna fiercely. She chuckled,

"Hey, don't be a wuss, Link. People don't like their King being weak," She teased half-heartedly. Link chuckled,

"Thanks Midna," He said, pulling away,

"Don't mention it, hero-boy," She smiled before ushering him to the portal.

He picked Zelda up, and she smiled kindly at Midna, who returned it.

He took one last look at the Twilight Queen who had become his great friend, before stepping into the portal.

"I...I'll see you later," Was the last thing he heard.

~Well, I'm soo sorry that took me so dang long! And I saw a few of you mentioning cookies on the dark side, so there you are ;) Thanks!

-Miki ~