Chapter 26

So, this chapter switches point of views a lot. Just bear with me. It's a fighting sequence with a lot of things happening at once. To get as much as possible, this is necessary ^^'

aDark Link paced back and forth across the huge chamber, awaiting his master's arrival. Why was he feeling so guilty about what he had done to the girl? Why had it been so hard in the first place? She was just the prissy little brat who was known as the second most important enemy, right under his stupid light-side. He shouldn't have felt anything but pleasure in her misery, but that wasn't the case.

Finally, There was a loud sound, just before Dayfos approached,

"I did as you instructed, Master. She is weaker than ever." He said to him, eager for his approval. He merely nodded,

"Very well. I have received word that our Dark Zelda is ready for us. I shall waste no more time. Time for you to have your fun, my son," Dark Link smiled widely. Finally.

~~

Zelda slowly looked up when she heard something outside her cell, more out of habit than actual curiosity. She then sighed, seeing it was nothing more than a few soldiers walking back to the town. She closed her eyes again, exhausted but refusing to sleep. How much longer could she do this? She wasn't sure. An ounce of food or water had yet to appear. She put a hand on her stomach, praying to the goddess that they were still there. 

Be strong for me, little one, she thought to herself. 

~~

Link rushed through the town, quickly mounting Epona and grabbing his sword and sheild,

"I hope you are all ready! It's time to protect our home!" He called out to the troops before galloping into the town.

His eyes grew wide. She wasn't kidding about how many there were. He sent a silent prayer to the goddesses as he looked forward into the shrieking black mass of demons. Then, without a second thought, he charged forward.

~~

Suddenly, Zelda jumped, turning around. Hyrule field was crawling with monsters, and Link was charging through it, killing one after the other. Her eyes grew wide. He might do good for awhile, but there was no way he would win this battle on his own, especially since one of his side was being impostured and most likely sabotaging his army. 

Energy suddenly came back to her, and she started trying to find an escape again. She threw an orb of light at it, which bounced off and was narrowly missed by her. She tried hitting it with branches, digging under it, and even scratching away at it with a rock. Nothing worked. She groaned and threw her hands down on the ground in front of her. How was she supposed to help him if she couldn't ever get out of this stupid prison.

Could she even handle it? She hated to admit it, but Dark Link's attempt to scar her worked. When she pictured Link then, all she could think about was what had been done to her.

She then looked up slightly and saw it. Her hand layed just slightly farther than where it should have been able to reach. She moved it, and it felt like the top of her hand was hitting warm glass. She instantly stuck her other hand under the hole and pulled upward hard. At first, nothing happened, but after a few seconds, she felt it start to give. This proved even the best cages weren't perfect. They all had a flaw, and this one was no different.

Finally the gap was big enough that she could scoot her way out. She did without hesitation. It was hard with the small amount of energy she had, but she was determined to get to Link. Her hands buzzed with golden light and her blue eyes seemed to shine a bit brighter than they ever had as she walked forward into the battle.

~~

Link swung forward, slicing it's head clean off, not slowing Epona in the slightest. He ran her forward, running flat over several monsters. He then jumped off, attacking more. Quinn was fighting nearby, and she seemed to be doing quite well. Zelda, however, was nowhere to be seen. Link stabbed his blade clean through the chest of a monster before jumping back onto Epona and riding forward,

"Zelda?" He called out, looking around. All he saw was demonic creatures surrounding him. He tried to keep them away from him at the same time as he looked for her. His ears twitched as he heard his name screamed from far away.

~~

Zelda formed the light bow in her hands, not having any other weapon with her, and started killing off her share of monsters. The exhaustion was right on the edge of her mind, threatening to take over. She kept pushing it back though, refusing to give up.

Then, hands grabbed her from behind. She struggled to get away, but she just wasn't able to focus enough of her remaining strength,

"Link!"

~~

He kicked Epona's side and rushed towards where he heard her. He kept praying he wouldn't be too late for whatever was happening to her. This is why she shouldn't be in battle. Protecting her is all he ever thought about.

~~

He should have seen it coming.

He should have been more careful.

Maybe then she would still be there.

~~

Suddenly, a horde of arrows came from everywhere around him at once. Then, the next second, he was on the ground several feet away. He looked up quickly, eyes widening. He stared at the sight for a few seconds before he could speak,

"Epona! No!"

Several arrows had pierced her heart, and now his beloved mare's heart had stopped beating.