Chapter 5.

"You want to ride with me?" Simon asks, petting his horse Coconut. I just stare up at Coconut, amazed at how big he is. I never realized how big horses could be.

"Ah... I'm... I'm good...," I tell Simon nervously.

Simon looks at me and smirks, then quickly grabs my hands and flies me on top of Coconut. "Don't be like that, Coconut's a sweetheart! He won't hurt you!" Simon sits in front of me, closer to Coconut's neck, and starts petting her more.

"S-Simon, I really don't like this!" I tell him, staring down at the ground in fear. I instinctively wrap my arms around Simon's waist.

"It's okay, you won't fall, I promise!" Simon reassures me. He leans toward Coconut and says, "ride us around the forest, okay boy? Go slow at first, though."

Upon listening to Simon, Coconut starts to walk forward at a slow pace, riding wherever he pleased. Feeling like I could fall, I wrap my arms tighter around Simon.

"Try to relax, Jack," Simon tells me softly.

"I'm sorry, am I hurting you?" I ask him shakily, loosening my grip around him.

Simon laughs, "no, don't worry about that. I just don't want you to be so afraid riding Coconut is all!"

"T-too late!" I squeal and close my eyes as Coconut quickens his pace a bit.

Then, I feel Simon shift and suddenly he's facing me. I feel panic overwhelm me and grab Simon's hands, trying to desperately pull him closer for comfort, but to no avail.

"I want to get down!" I tell him, eyes shut tight.

Simon hugs me close and flies us off of Coconut. He sets me down on the ground and sits next to me.

"Sorry, Jack. I thought you would be able to get used to it after a while," Simon says.

I take a few minutes to steady my breath and ground myself. "I don't really understand why I was so scared..."

"It's not something people do normally," Simon explains. "It's normal to get afraid your first time riding a horse."

"I...," I take a deep breath and look at Simon. I can see concern in his eyes. "Were you afraid your first time?"

"Ah... I grew up in the 19th century. I probably rode horses when I was alive, but I can't remember my first time or how I felt," Simon says.

"Oh, right...," I sigh and lean toward Simon for comfort, laying my head on his shoulder. "Let's go back to your cabin."

"Sure." Simon carries me bridal style again and flies us both back to his cabin, where I instantly go into his 'art room' and lay down on his bed, trying to relax.

I lay down on his bed, Simon eventually joining me, and think for a while.

"I have a question," I say finally. "You said you... Basically knew everything about me. Do you really?"

Simon smiles at me, a sort of friendly smile. "I can't read your mind, if that's what you're asking. But to answer your question? No. I don't. I know your story because I've read about it in newspapers, but I didn't know anything else about you until I got to know you better."

I look up at the ceiling in wonder, trying to understand how I ever became friends with a demon. "I've been thinking... Maybe I should... I don't know...," I sigh and shake my head, then look at Simon. "Never mind, actually, scratch that thought."

"What were you going to say?" Simon questions me.

"It's dumb. Don't worry about it," I tell him.