at night.

a/n: lots of sad and angsty breddy stuff recently so here's this because i feel like we all need it.

-

brett is the perfect son.

at least that's what his parents think.

he does well in school, stays out of trouble, is dedicated to playing the violin, doesn't mess around with girls, and most importantly, he follows the rules.

well, at least that's what his parents think.

-

it all changed on a wednesday evening, his first youth orchestra rehearsal of the year, in an old museum building. his deskie hadn't shown up yet, so brett was alone, stuck in the back of the first violin section. fifteen minutes later, the door slammed open to reveal a tall boy wearing all black, a violin case slung around his shoulders. it was eddy, running late to rehearsal again. as soon as eddy took his seat next to brett, he knew.

even now, brett remembers how intimidating eddy was; he never spoke to anyone, but when he did speak to brett, his voice was always low and quiet. and it didn't exactly help that eddy was nearly a head taller than brett. not to mention, eddy was almost always late to rehearsal, and often found himself arguing with the concertmaster over bowing patterns and interpretation. nevertheless, it was clear that he was very passionate about one thing: the violin.

brett was the opposite in a way, always socializing with the orchestra, always on time, always following the concertmaster and conductor perfectly.

he followed the rules, eddy did not.

unfortunately, that just seemed to lure brett in more.

-

after a couple of weeks of sharing a stand with him, it became clear to brett that he liked eddy. there was something so mysterious and intriguing about the boy in all black that sat next to him, and brett couldn't help but be curious. things got even more interesting when brett noticed eddy warming up to him, too. eddy would brush brett's hand while going to grab brett's pencil (since he never brought one himself), and he would even take note of brett's fingerings and write them down for him.

then, one day, after a late night concert, eddy grasped brett's hand, dragging him over to his car wordlessly.

"woah woah eddy wait up! where are you taking me? i've got to be home by 9 or my parents will kill me!"

eddy never responded, and just opened the passenger side door, gesturing for brett to get into the sleek black car.

brett was certainly not in a position to refuse, with eddy slightly pressing him up against the car and looking down at him with a stern expression, so he slid into the leather seat timidly.

eddy shut the door and walked over to the other side, getting into the drivers seat and starting the engine.

"seriously, i have to go, the bus will be here soon and i have to get home," brett said in a panic.

"i'll take you home," eddy replied, his voice low and emotionless, "we'll have to stop somewhere first, though."

"look, i really appreciate the offer, but i can't be late i promised my parents—" brett moved to open the door to leave, but was cut off by the sound of eddy locking the doors with a resounding click.

"trust me, okay?" eddy said, grabbing onto brett's hand, looking him in the eyes. eddy's hand was rough, fingertips calloused from hours of practice, his grip on brett's hand firm and pleading.