grocery store.

eddy hates shopping.

the grocery store is his biggest enemy. it's too crowded, too busy, and too big. he hates the sounds of crying children and how it always seems to be too cold in the building. the long lines are frustrating, the shelves are confusing, and it certainly doesn't help that eddy is indecisive. he can never choose which type of cheese to get, i mean what really is the difference between white and yellow cheddar?

but it was getting ridiculous.

him and brett hadn't had a homecooked meal in a week, and their fridge had just a single bottle of soy sauce in it. eddy couldn't remember the last time he had a fresh fruit.

so, it was a saturday afternoon, and brett was dragging him to the supermarket, quite literally. brett had tricked him into the car, telling him they were going to the park, eddy's favorite place (besides home). eddy knew it was a trap as soon as brett took the first left turn, the park was to the right.

now, brett held tightly onto his hand and led eddy across the car-filled parking lot, into the dreaded store. brett wove deftly in and out of people, grabbing a shopping cart for the two of them.

he let go of eddy's hand, and eddy frowned.

"can you push the cart?" brett asked.

eddy nodded, looking around nervously at the crowd of people.

brett caught him in the act and sighed. he felt guilty for bringing eddy, but they had to get it done.

"it's okay eddy, just follow me."

-

the two made their way through the grocery store very orderly, starting at the back and going down each aisle. brett knew that making decisions made eddy's anxiety flare up, so he put himself in charge of picking out groceries while eddy followed close behind with the cart.

although, there was always the occasional item that was just out of reach, and that's when brett would gaze longingly at the tall boy behind the shopping cart.

eddy would crack a small smile, and reach over brett to grab things off of the top shelf. their arms would brush together slightly, and then they'd be back on their way.

brett made sure to pile eddy's favorite things in the basket—bananas, sushi, pocky, you name it—as a reward for toughing out grocery shopping with him. brett knew it wasn't easy.

when he wasn't grabbing food off the shelves, brett would stand next to eddy and push the metal cart with him, his comforting hand resting on top of eddy's cold one.

other times, eddy would stand at the end of the aisle, alone and watching their belongings, while brett would navigate through the crowded lanes to get more food. eddy's anxious eyes would track brett's movement like a hawk, not wanting to lose him in the sea of people. then, when he returned, eddy would tug on the sleeve of his sweatshirt, a reminder for brett to stay close.

it was when the two boys found themselves in the empty bread aisle that eddy began to get tired.

"bretty," he whined softly, leaning his head on brett's shoulder as the shorter boy sorted through the variety of bread on the shelf, "can we go home now? im tired." he made sure there was no one in the same aisle watching them, not brave enough to be so affectionate in the public eye.

eddy's pleading tone tugged at brett's heart, and he knew they'd been shopping for awhile, but he just couldn't say yes. they still had much more to buy, considering the fact that their cupboards were empty, and they had yet to make it even three-quarters of the way through the store.

"just a bit more, okay? i promise," brett grabbed ahold of eddy's hand and squeezed it tightly, as an apology and a sign of reassurance. eddy just trudged along.

-

by the end of their shopping expedition, eddy was slouched over the handle of the shopping cart and barely awake, his eyelids feeling like iron weights.

he followed brett to the long checkout line and pouted at the realization that they'd be stuck in the line for at least another 15 minutes.

his feet were tired and his head was heavy, and he was far too mentally exhausted to care about the hordes of people around. seeking only comfort amidst the crowd of strangers, eddy wrapped his arms around brett from behind and rested his head in the crook of brett's neck.

brett blushed at the reactions of the people surrounding them. some did a double take, some looked away nervously, and others blatantly stared. but no one said anything, and for that brett was grateful.

"i can't believe you tricked me," eddy mumbled into brett's neck, clearly dissatisfied.

his tired voice made brett feel unimaginably guilty, and his heart ached with regret.

"i'm sorry," he muttered, grabbing one of eddy's hands that rested on his waist, "i'll make it up to you."

eddy believed him wholeheartedly.

"okay," he said, turning his head to plant a solid kiss on brett's soft cheek.

brett's face went bright red, and he pulled away slightly.

"eddy!" he whispered frantically, "people are staring!"

truthfully, eddy hadn't even noticed.

"oh," eddy said as he looked at the shocked faces of the people passing by. some glared, while others turned away, embarassed that they had been caught staring at such an intimate act.

eddy stepped away awkwardly, only close enough to brett to continue holding his hand. they moved up in the line, and nothing was said.

-

when they had finally gotten back in the privacy of their own home, after unloading the groceries and setting them unceremoniously on the kitchen counter, eddy flopped onto their spacious couch with a groan.

"bretty, come cuddle," he demanded childishly.

brett rolled his eyes playfully and walked over to the couch.

"give me a minute, okay? i'm going to get us a blanket." he reached out and stroked eddy's messy brown hair, smiling as eddy leaned into his touch.

"hurry, i miss you," eddy complained as brett walked to their room.

seconds later, he was back, with a blanket as promised, and eddy tugged him down onto the couch, pulling the shorter boy into his arms.

brett snuggled into his chest after throwing the blanket over the two of them. eddy basked in the feeling of brett cradled safely between his arms, the sound of his light breaths matching perfectly with brett's.

eddy stroked the nape of brett's neck lightly, lulling the smaller boy to sleep. brett pressed a small kiss to the base of eddy's throat and tilted his head up at him.

"i'm sorry," he couldn't help but apologize.

eddy looked down and kissed brett's forehead gently.

"don't be. i love you," he replied, "now go to sleep."