Chapter Twenty Eight | A Heatless Fire

Ya'll the next chapter might be the last, I dunno ://

.

.

.

.

.

Racing into the church entrance, you and the rest of the small group were greeted by the deafening sounds of screams and yelling that filled the entire building. The only thing illuminating the wide space of the room were the neon lights and the torches that many of the banditos carried with them. By the looks of it, it really did seem like everyone was here, a flood of familiar bodies cornering bishops and fighting off tall guards. Off to the side, citizens of DEMA crowded together and watched with wide eyes. Some appeared to be utterly terrified and confused about the whole scene, while others seemed to show small signs of hope in their faces. Maybe some had looked forward to this moment when the people in yellow would finally arrive to save them from the hooded men who controlled them all for years. It was strange for you to see them all now, scared and afraid, though not too long ago you were no different. Dressed down in gray and forced to live under a permanent mask.

Clear for anyone to see, Tyler and Nicolas stood up on the stage amidst the fighting that went on around them. The two faced one another with a bat in Tyler's grip. Nearby, a blade lay across the floor.

"We have to go help him." Josh murmured worriedly from beside you, and you almost couldn't hear his words over all the catastrophe that surrounded you. Looking up at the curly headed male, you briefly rested your hands over his shoulders.

"Tyler's your best friend." You reminded Josh, "Go and help out the others just like Tyler would want you to do. I'll make sure nothing happens to him, okay?"

He stared at you, uncertainty flashing in his gaze as he took the time to think over your words. Eventually Josh gave a small nod and muttered out a quiet, "Okay," before turning around and rushing off to join a group who were having trouble defending themselves from one of the many guards.

You turned as well only to notice one of the other bishops approaching Tyler from behind, though the brunet was too focused on Nicolas to even realize. "Tyler! Behind you!" You shouted a warning aloud as you quickly started off in the direction of the stage, feet skidding on the hard cement floor of the church.

He heard your voice and glanced towards you with a look of surprise before finally registering your warning. Tyler spun around, hands gripping the handle of the bat tightly as he swung it with enough power to knock the hooded figure to the ground with just one hit. He stared down at him, likely waiting a few seconds more to make sure the bishop wouldn't be getting up any time soon. 

During all of that, Nico had started to reach for Tyler, the blade that once lay across the concrete floor now in the tall man's grasp. And again, Tyler wasn't aware of the danger behind him. "Keep your filthy hands off of him!" You shouted through partially gritted teeth as you stormed forward. You forced yourself through the small space between Tyler and Nicolas, facing the elderly man as you reached out to push him away, yet he just grabbed your arm tightly and spun you around, holding your body against him securely as Nico now pressed the knife to your neck.

"Drop the weapon, child," Nicolas ordered to Tyler, his voice still holding its calm sound yet there was a dull undertone to it that sent unsettling chills along your skin. "Or else your friend here will have to meet her fate a little sooner than expected." 

Tyler's narrowed gaze flickered away from Nicolas' face as he looked towards you instead, meeting your wide eyed stare as his brows were knitted together. He seemed unsure of whether to cooperate or not, but even you weren't certain what would be the best option at that moment.