Chapter Fifteen | Bitter Strawberry

#1 IN TYLERXREADER WTF IS HAPPENINNNGGGG im prolly getting excited over nothing but hush and let me be happy

.

.

.

.

.

Two days have passed since the minor incident, and you had been coping with your injury quite well. Sure, it hurt from time to time whenever you accidentally put too much pressure on it, but other than that the healing process was fine. Josh had even come to visit you, and you were happy to see him getting some fresh air.

Across the camp, someone with striking yellow hair called out to you. They were one of the people who had been helping out with Josh's duties until he could get back on his feet again. You quickly finished what you were doing and walked up to the girl whose hair reminded you of sunflower petals. "What's up?"

"We ran out of firewood last night, and with how cold the weather has been getting, we're going to need a lot more. Could you go with these lovely people here-" She gestured to the small group that crowded nearby. "- to gather some wood? Just enough for the coming nights." Someone with fiery red hair crossed her arms in your direction. You sensed a sour aura coming from them.

"Sure." You smiled and the sunflower girl patted your shoulder before walking away.

As the group trudged out of camp, you ended up trailing behind everyone. Partially because of your damaged leg, but mostly because the red-head forced her way in front of you. You didn't understand why she was subtly mistreating you.

"I'm thinking we should head west." A tall guy in the front shouted over his shoulder. "There's a small woods that way, and with last night's rainstorm there should be plenty of fallen sticks." He turned around to hear everyone's opinion.

The red-head spoke up. "Why don't we stay somewhere close for the cripple over here?" She pointed at you, and you stood awkwardly in shock, unsure if you should feel offended or not.

The guy rolled his eyes, "Debby, just because your boyfriend doesn't want to hold your hand doesn't mean you need to treat people like shit." You had to bite your tongue to hold back a spit of laughter, whereas some people freely turned to the side and giggled. Debby just huffed and continued walking.

As everyone headed west, you fastened your pace to catch up to Debby's side. She glanced away once she was aware of your close presence. "Woke up on the wrong side of the bed today, eh?"

She screwed up her face and furrowed her brows. "I'm surprised you've managed to walk this far. By now, I thought you would have collapsed."

"My ankle's sprained, not broken. I didn't get my entire leg amputated in case you couldn't see past all your bullshit." You smirked to yourself, a devilish grin upon your lips.

Her face evolved into a blazed expression. "You son of a bi-" She lowered her voice after realizing her whisper had become an uproar. "You have a pretty nasty mouth for a child," Debby sneered, "did your parents not teach you any manners?"

"No, but they did teach me not to get jealous over crippled little girls." You replied to her pathetic attempt at an insult.

The rest of the walk was quiet, but you could feel the rumble of tension that would eventually lead to an avalanche of destruction.

When everyone arrived at the small woods, people picked up every twig and branch that could be found. You raced around, swiping every stick Debby would reach out to grab, and snatched them from her grasp.

Soon enough you all returned back at Trench and started piling up logs to make tonight's fire. One fell out of place, and you quickly bent over to fix it, cursing under your breath.

Debby narrowed her mischievous gaze at you before mumbling quietly. "At least I know how to properly set up a fire."

You whispered back, making sure she could hear. "At least I know how to tell when someone isn't interested in me anymore."

She looked directly at you, lips pulled into a hard snarl and brows knitted furiously. Her berry red hair made her features look more sour than the most bitter fruit. "You'll never fit in." The childish mischief that bounced inside your stomach turned into a slow frown. "Once Tyler and Josh are done treating you like their special guest, you'll just be the worthless peasant you really are."

You swallowed nervously and glanced away. Picking on Debby didn't sound like fun anymore.

"You might as well leave now while it's still safe." With the firewood now neatly stacked and placed perfectly, Debby rose to her feet and stepped away. The sourness faded, but your frown still remained. The wild festival within your chest was now a pitiful party, slowly crashing down on you from the inside.

.

.

.

.

.

Thanksgiving break is ending and i'm not excited to go back to school :(