Introduction: Sugar Rush

Remember when I said coffee was my favorite thing in the world?...

☕️

Kim Nahyun sipped her cup of coffee, a content expression appearing on her face.

She peered around the Heart's Cafe, glancing at every person in interest. There were a variety of people in the quaint coffee shop. In one corner of the room sat business people, who seem to be on a quick break from work. In the big table by the windows were a bunch of high schoolers, laughing and chatting about their favorite idols. And of course, no cafe is a true cafe without the college students sprawled about during their school work.

Her small joyous moment was instantly replaced as she peered down at her own work before her. She had her own books and pens all over the table for an assignment that was due the next day. The only thing that was keeping her somewhat motivated was her fresh brewed coffee... and the exciting, unexpected visit that was bound to happen soon enough.

Clink.

A plate of chocolate cake appeared into view on the table. Nahyun glimpsed up and saw her best friend towered over her.

"Jinhyuk-ah," she uttered out, an instant smile to her lips.

She and Lee Jinhyuk had been friends since for as long as she could remember. Nahyun couldn't even think of the exact day when they met. It was sudden. Like, one day, Jinhyuk appeared by her side and been there since then. Nahyun watched this boy grow up so much, as he did with her. They knew each other inside and out.

And knowing Jinhyuk as long as she did, it seemed like some fever dream that this boy was once shorter than her.

Lee Jinhyuk was always her best friend.

She gave a quick glance over at the counter and saw there were no new customers to tend to. She reached over and grasped onto the sleeve of his white buttoned shirt to keep him from leaving. "Help me out, will you? This assignment is making my head explode!"

The tall boy pouted at her. He patted her head before taking the empty seat next to her. "I came here just to give you moral support, and that moral support comes in a form of cake." His eyes shifted over to the sheets of paper. "What is that anyway?"

"I have to some essay about the change in the music industry and how it's influencing the public," Nahyun chided as she grabbed onto one of the books from the college library for the assignment. She slid it over in front of him, and she only earned a scrunched-up face in return.

"Seungyoun would probably be better help because, you know, he's a music production major," Jinhyuk replied with pretend amusement. "You dummy, why would you even ask me? Someone's who's a computer science major."

"Because you love me so so much and wouldn't want me to fail at this class."

"Funny how you assume that."

Nahyun pouted at him as he cracked a teasing smile. "Seungyoun would never hurt me this way." Her eyes scanned the room again. "Speaking of, where is he? I didn't see him when I came in?" She knew the usual welcoming, friendly atmosphere of the Heart Cafe had been missing... and none other than Cho Seungyoun brought that energy.

"He went out to grab more apples because we ran out extremely early," Jinhyuk answered. "You know how we were supposed to have a special of apple pastries today? Our supplier gave us one bag less than we ordered."

"What? That's messed up."

"Yeah, so Seungyoun ran to get more before we finished up the last batch of them." The ding of the shop caught the duo's attention. The very same-aged boy waltzed in with a sack of apples in his hands. He greeted every customer with that famous toothy grin on his face. "Speak of the devil."