Soul Snatching: Chapter 5

Please vote, its only one little click :DD

Explanation: [just for the people who are still confused about Soul Snatching]

Soul Snatching: When you turn 16 your soul reaches its full growth that is when you see whether or not you share your soul with multiple people. The soul divides because (scientists speculate) there were too many people on earth, the increase number of people caused there to be not enough souls for humans to share. Therefore people have to fight each other (the other people who have there souls) for there half, or third, or even occasionally forth of the soul. The only way to get your soul back is by killing the person. If you don’t kill the person you will gradually go through depression and eventually die. Everyone has to go through the Soul Snatching except for the lucky few whose other half(the person with the other half of there soul) has already died. Any other questions? Just ask!

-----------------------

After my encounter with Paul the day just passed on by. My happiness was short lived though when I saw Jess at lunch. I completely forgot about what she was going to tell me about this Tristan guy. As I watched her walk over her eyes seemed a lot less puffy then they did in the morning, I took that as a good sign.

“What’s wrong Jess?” Casey and I ask in unison.

“My cousin Tristan died.” She responded flatly not even meeting our gaze.

Death is not an unusual occurrence in this day and age. Missing out on school is a really stupid way to grieve, because it might be the difference between life and death.

“I’m sorry,” Casey said. She was always the nicer one in our little trio. I personally find the words I’m sorry pointless. I heard it over and over again when my brother died and believe me, people being sorry didn’t bring him back.

“It’s just that he has been training his whole life so vigorously and look at where that has got him.” That really struck a nerve. I can just picture people saying the same thing about me, if I were to pass away during my Soul Snatching. “Oh, she trained so hard, look at where that got her.” I shivered at the thought. Would all my training really be pointless?

“Tara? What’s wrong?”

“Nothing.” I said simply as I continued eating my protein bar. The cruel thoughts still haunting my head. I have had fun in my life…right? I hung out with friends during school and I laughed occasionally. But you also trained every spare second you had, I thought bitterly to myself. I accomplished something in life, I had to have had.

***

“Tara Brookes please report to the counseling office.”

I looked up at my fifth period teacher. He sighed dramatically as if me leaving the class was my own doing. As I headed toward the counselors office I was surprisingly nervous. I knew the day would come when I would have to speak to my counselor, I mean chances are I would die during my Soul Snatching. Talking to my counselor just makes sure that I have accepted that fact. I walk in the room to see five other students already waiting to speak with their counselor.

“Tara, Ms. Miller is ready to speak with you.” A plump lady with a kind face told me. She led me to what I assumed was Ms. Miller’s office. I walk in to see a bunch of motivational posters up on the walls. As I was gazing around the small square of a room I see a skinny woman sitting on a chair. She gestured for me to sit down.

“Hello Tara my name is Ms. Miller and I am your counselor.”

I said nothing in reply. She cleared her throat.

“Ah well I see that you work very hard in all of your classes, you are one of the best students this school has ever seen. However, your eye exam brought pitiful results.”

An eye exam is when they have someone look at your eyes and judge how many times your soul is split. They say the more lifeless and dull your eyes are the more your soul is divided. A long time ago they used to joke that the eye is the window to the soul. Now, scientists understand that that is actually true. Looking into someone’s eyes can tell you how many times there soul is split approximately.

“Do you have any idea how much your soul is split?”

“Four times.” I managed to say that rather large number calmly.

“I really hope there wrong dear, I haven’t seen a four way split of souls in a very long time. It’s a very rare occurrence so keep your hopes up for a three way split.”

I looked at my eyes time and time again willing for life to shine through them. I knew it wouldn’t though, it was hopeless.

“Anyways, you seem to have a pretty fair chance of winning your Soul Snatching. I must ask you though, have you accepted the fact that you might be dying in a matter of weeks.”

She said it so calmly you would think she was asking me what I wanted for breakfast. I’m not even 16 years old and you expect me to be comfortable about the fact that I might be DYING soon? My whole life I’ve been training and for what? I might even die in the end.

“Ms. Brooke?” I forgot that she was still expecting an answer. I gave her the answer she wanted to hear.

“Yes, if I was to pass away I have all of my most valuable possessions sorted out.” I didn’t even know if I had any valuable possessions, but I just wanted to get this stupid session over with.

“Do you feel like you have done everything you wanted to in life?” I wanted to scream at this woman. I haven’t gotten married, heck I haven’t even dated. I’ve never even had my first kiss!

“No.” I honestly replied back to her.

“Is there anything I can do about it?”

“No”

“Do you have any family problems?”

“No”

“Is there anything else you would like to discuss with me?”

“No”

“Do you want to leave now?”

“N-Yes.” Crap she almost got me with that one. She raised an eyebrow, then sighed.

“Bye Ms. Brooke, if you have any problems feel free to drop by.”

“Of course.” I gave her the fakest smile I could manage and ran out the door. I couldn’t wait to get back to class. The thought of death still ringing in my ears. I’m too young to die…

---------

Not the most interesting chapter I know, but necessary to help the story continue. Don’t give up on me yet because the next chapter should be good :DD

No more voting requirements, I realize I’ll write with or without them. I just like writing more when I do get votes, fans, and comments!