Soul Snatching: Chapter 3

I love this chapter! My favorite so far! I hope you guys like it nearly as much as i do!

----------------

I have always loved Wednesdays. There is just something about the middle of the week that puts a smile on my face. Even though there are six more days until my Soul Snatching, I still woke up feeling a lot happier then I have been in a while.

I woke up early today because of the delicious smell of my mom's cooking. Less then a week before I'm sent off to my doom is when my mom decides to start caring. I had to resist the urge to roll my eyes. I wasn't going to complain though as I devoured my bacon and pancakes. I almost choked up, however, when I remembered how my mom did the same thing for Sean almost 10 years ago. I can't help but miss my caring older brother. I quietly headed out the door, Sean still clouding my thoughts.

Though I hate to give the school credit for anything, the Speed Bus is a pretty cool bus. It runs on electricity and it goes about 200mph, most cars go about 250mph. It can also fit about 250 students, because it has two levels to it. However, the classic bright yellow color of the bus still hasn't changed over the past 80 years.

When I got to the back of the bus and sat next to my best friend, Jess, she was unusually quiet.

"What's wrong?" I am usually clueless to what other people feel, so me realizing her gloomy mood was a first.

"My cousin Tristan..." her words got cut off as the bus arrived at school. She just sighed, shaking away the thought. "I'll tell you later," was all she said as we exited the bus.

[A/N please keep in mind that it takes about a minute or two for the bus to get to school, due to its increased speed]

I ran into my first period class, but I was still tardy do to the insane amount of traffic at this school. When I got to the class, I stood there watching all of the students lining up in alphabetical order, I quickly stood in my place, my class is located outside in a huge field. To the north there is a small forest (still part of the class) and to the south are tall grasses, perfect for hiding in. The classroom is set up this way to stimulate what the Arena, for Soul Snatching, will be like. The only difference is that in the Arena there is usually a small lake filled with freshwater. A pile of weapons is located behind the teacher, it includes daggers, spears, swords, and bows and arrows.

As I quickly stood in my spot, I heard the morning announcements starting.

"Hello students of Gutenburg High, its Principal Cain here informing you of all the students who have gone out Soul Snatching. Cynthia Samos, Joel Nightshed,... ..."

I heard one or two names I knew, I remember seeing them yesterday wearing fancy clothing. The day before your Soul Snatching you can wear whatever you want instead of the plain black uniform were usually condemned to wear. Usually people wear the nicest clothing possible to impress all of there classmates and get others to wish them a lucky snatching. I was so lost in my own thoughts I barely realized the teacher was talking.

"In the Arena you won't get big blocky metal shields. Chances are your going to have to use your wits and your body to defend yourself. The best defensive technique is to avoid situations that will make you need to defend yourself. Remember, the best kill is a quick and easy one. The longer you spend on a kill, the higher your chances are of getting killed."

She grabbed a sword from the pile of weapons on her desk.

"If someone attacks you with a sword," she lunged at an unsuspecting student causing him to jump, earning a variety of snickers from the class, "you either use your surroundings to block it or use your own weapon." She threw a dagger at another kid, a petite blond girl, but she was expecting it and caught it with ease. A dagger versing a sword is hardly a fair match, but if it was me I could have beat those odds.