Chapter 17-Thunder and Lightning

Jason's P.O.V

Rain pattered against the window rhythmically, seeming to create it's own song as I watched nature's tears flow. She was sad for a reason or another, and I wanted to know why. The droplets trickled down the glass in jagged lines, ending at the pane and pooling into a single puddle.

Maybe you should help her

I nodded, pushing up the window with ease. Small drops of water spattered inside, sticking to the pads of my fingers. There was a moment of hesitation before I guided my hand out the window. Water instantly began falling from the sky and to my hand. Every time I felt the substance, it seemed as though it was to hurt. The protective layering of skin provided protection that was quite easy to forget about.

The constant trickling felt marvelous against my hand and arm, and brought with it a sensation to complex for words.

I must share this with someone

The thought struck me every time, and not once have I indulged in the surreal idea. But now, now I wanted to tell someone, because there was a certain someone who understands. Who would want to share in my discovery.

I walked out of the bedroom with renowned purpose, striding towards the grand staircase. Once I had reached the banister, a set of voices began to float up from below. Information on manners began to play through my mind, but for once, I disposed any means of the correct response.

"There is no way we can keep him sheltered here, and you know that."

"Of course I do, but it's not safe for him out there. What if someone takes into account of his strange behavior? Vivian is definitely interested in what had happened to him. She knows how he used to be, and if he ever ran into any of his old friends, we would have a serious problem."

I knew of the name Vivian. She was mother's closest friend, and always seemed to bring by treats for me. Sugared and artificial foods that seemed to keep me awake at night. They were not all that tasty, as she usually promised,

"I'm more worried about that Hayes girl. She's seemed to have grown attached to Jason, and if she were to find out, her father would be the serious problem, not anything else."

I stiffened my back, having heard enough. They were not in charge of anything. I wanted to prove that, so I jogged down the stairs and out the door. Not a second thought came about from the action, only of what Spencer may want to hear about this.

*        *        *

Spencer's P.O.V

The doorbell chimed throughtout the living room, but mom or dad didn't seem to notice. They were fawning all over Elias, catching up on old news. I swiveled out of the barstool and trekked to the door, wondering who would be out and about in this weather.

It had been raining all morning, a fantastic way to spend a Saturday, in my opinion. After Elias and I had come home together the other day, it was fascinating to see our parents' reactions. While mom was crying in joy, dad was stoic yet interested in the man standing before him. It brought an unfamiliar warmth to my chest at the reunion, and everything has been perfect since. 

When I opened the door, my eyes bugged to the size of Texas. Jason was standing there in a simple blue long sleeve shirt and light washed jeans. Or, they had been light, before the downpour of rain that now soaked his entire body.

He was leaning in the doorway, both hands grasped against the frame and head pointed down to the cement steps. Once the door had been opened, he glanced up with a look that melted my heart into the puddle of water at his feet. His brown hair was drenched and lay flat against his head, and there was water still trailing down the chisled edges of his face. It was hard to deny how beautiful he looked standing on my porch, but when my mom's laughter drifted into the room, there was not time to give compliments.