Chapter 14-Obsessed with Pink

As I turned the dial to my locker combination, I really felt everything was going to be okay. After all that happened on Friday, I spent so much time worrying about my dad. He seemed to be recuperating quickly with my mom there to help him. It also took her mind off of other things, such as Elias.

The strongest desire to talk to Jason had me up at five-thirty this morning. It was exausting, but I just wanted to be with him, to see him. Not once in my life had I ever had this feeling, this crave to be near someone, and it was quite weird. Unnatural.

I pushed up on the handle of my locker and quickly pulled it open. Something clattered against the metal, and a pink gooey liquid spilled down onto my shoes.

With a gasp I jumped back, trying to keep away from the suspicious liquid. I looked on the ground, and saw a round glass bottle.

Nail polish.

Someone cleverly tied a string around the top, and to the latch on my locker so that when it was opened, the bottle would spill.

I looked around the hallway, and sure enough just around the corner stood Melanie and Shauna, giggling to themselves.

Sucking in a deep breath, I pretended not to be bothered by it. After a moment Shauna disappeared around the corner, leaving Melanie to stand alone.

Melanie quickly stopped laughing, and took part in the staring contest. She shifted her weight, and just before she walked away I swear, I saw the smallest friendly smile form on her features before she winked.

Even though she wouldn't show it in public, I knew I got through to her on Friday. That small smile gave me hope. Not a hope that we would once again be friends, but a hope that people aren't always how bad we generally make them out to be.

"Okay, am I missing something or did you become obsessed with pink while I was gone?"

At the sudden voice I spun on my heel, a grin spreading from ear to ear. "Annie!"

"I'm back!" She sung out excitedly, throwing her arms around me.

With the same enthusiasm I returned her hug. A wave of happiness crashed through me the size of a tsunami. It felt so good to finally have my best friend at my side again.

"What did I miss?" She pulled away, showing an interested gleam in her eyes.

With uncertainty, I but my lip. "I kissed Jason."

Annie's jaw dropped to the floor. "You have got to tell me everything, now."

After releasing all of the details of last week, Annie went from surprised, to upset, to bubbling with joy.

"I'm so sorry about your dad." She looked so sad it even made me want to start crying.

Taking a deep breath, I eased her worries. "He should be alright now, and my mom's keeping a strict watch on his diet. But enough on a gloomy topic, how are you?"

Annie rolled her eyes. "Spence, I'm me, I'm great."

She was lying.

"You're lying. What happened?" I asked worriedly.

Annie laughed once. "You always see right through me. I broke up with Sam. He was being an ass, so yeah."

My heart went out to Annie, and I placed a hand on her shoulder comfortingly. "It's good that you don't let him walk all over you. I'm proud of you, Ann."

"Thanks." She gave a sad smile.

"Hello, ladies."

My back stiffened at the voice, and Annie cringed.