Chapter Five-Last I checked, Rick is a boy's name

I walked to math class, an unusual bounce to my step. It may have been the fact that Chase and I played tic-tac-toe and hangman for at least a half hour this morning. He couldn't keep me from laughing, which made him laugh as well.

But he knew that I liked him, and didn't mention it once. Was he trying to be friendly, or just down right flaunt it in my face I can't have him?

"Hey! Here's your homework, thanks, but I gotta run now, see you soon!" Annie flew out of the classroom like a tornado, handing me my homework as I walked in.

Occasionally we borrowed each others' homework since we didn't share all the same classes at the same time. Risky, but it usually worked.

I shook my head and smiled at her. It soon faltered when I saw the ominous being sitting next to my desk. Jared stared at me, waiting for me to make a move. I couldn't skip out on class again, not without getting a detention. And we both know how that turned out last time.

Knowing he was watching me the whole while, I sat in someone else's seat across the room. Once everyone filed into the room, I let out a sigh of relief that Rick wasn't here today, since this was his desk. I snuck a quick glance back at Jared to see him chatting with Nick.

"Alright y'all shut up now." Mr. Smith drawled, in his fake southern accent. He sat at his computer and glanced around the room.

Oh god, he's taking attendance, I thought, sinking lower in my seat. A bored expression remained on his face as he scanned the rows. Mr. Smith did a double-take once his eyes roamed over me.

"Last I checked," He started, stopping to re-check his computer, "Rick is a boy's name."

I felt ten pairs of eyes burning into my back, making me grow hot. "I have trouble seeing back there." I lied, making him squint at me. Mr. Smith scrutinized me a moment longer, before letting out a loud puff of air.

"Fine. But you're moving back there tomorrow until I rearange seats on Friday." He typed something quick, then stood up and dove into the lesson. I sat up straighter, knowing I would be alright for now.

At least until tomorrow My thoughts whispered, making my stomach churn in fear.

*****

After school I made my way to the cafeteria to do some reading before my mom came to pick me up. It was a great place, quiet and warm to get a few chapters done every day.

"Spencer!" I looked up from my book to see Annie sprinting full speed at me, making my eyes go wide.

"What's up?" I asked, as she ran into the table I was sitting at. She took a few deep breaths before sitting down.

"Noth...ing" She puffed out short breaths, obviously that run had affected her. "Just wanted...to...talk." Annie finished, still wheezing a bit.

"Oh alright. How was gym?" I asked, turning back to my book.

"Oh my god, you should have seen it!" Annie perked up, and slapped my book down on the table.

I frowned, "What ever happens in gym?"

"Okay so you know that new guy right? Jimmy or Jenson or John or whatever?"

"Jason." I corrected, slowly picking up my book.

"Whatever! So anyway, we were playing dodgeball, and he was just kind of being awkward for a bit. Then I went to talk to him and he was all nice and stuff. But then, Tommy whipped the ball at Jason's chest and got him out. And when the next game started, as soon as Jason got a ball, he threw it like fifty miles per hour and hit Tommy right it the eye! He dropped right to the floor like a sack of potatoes! It left a huge red mark, and even a bruise!" Annie squealed, laughing uncontrollably, making me laugh too.