Step-Monster to the Bride

Abby's POV

It's been almost two weeks since my last Skype call with Caleb. A little more than a month left until he comes home.

I haven't spoken to my father since I stormed out of the restaurant. I've gotten a few "update" emails that have told me about Caleb's health and safety. Since he and I had our second Skype session, he's been fine. No alerts, no problems with the machinery, and no visits to the infirmary.

I woke up as the sun shown through my window. I rolled over in bed, immediately feeling the cold space next to me. I closed my eyes as I snuggled into his empty spot. As the smell of his cologne hit my nose, my eyes watered and I wanted nothing more than to stay in bed. I let out a sigh when I remembered that it was Saturday, so I could spend all day in bed.

I shouldn't, but I could.

I sighed when I gathered all the strength I could and sat up, swinging my legs over the edge of my bed. I gasped when I felt the cold floor under my bare feet.

I rubbed my hands over my face, an exhausted sigh leaving my lips. I ran my hands through my hair, brushing it out with my fingers. I looked over at my bedside table, my eyes instantly falling on the picture of Caleb and I. It was the picture we took after Caleb proposed to me.

I smiled, memories from that day replaying in my mind, as I got up and started getting ready for a day of missing my fiancé.

~•~

I woke up to the sound of Caleb talking to someone on the phone. I rolled over to see him standing in the hallway, outside our bedroom, his phone pressed to his ear and his back to me. I sat up and waited for him to get off the phone.

When he turned around, tucking his phone into his pocket, his eyes instantly met mine. "Hi, baby." He said, trying to act nonchalant.

"Morning," I smiled as I started to get out of bed. I stood up and gasped as Caleb was suddenly right in front of me.

"You okay?" I asked, tilting my head slightly. He just hummed as he wrapped his arms around my waist, pulling me into his chest.

"Want to go on an adventure with me today?"

His innocent yet heavy question made me let out a small laugh. Caleb is known for going on random, sometimes dangerous and stupid, adventures. He calls them adventures, but they are really more like "wonderings". Nine times out of ten, we end up lost.

"I'd love to," I sighed, playfully. "But I have to go to work."

"No, you don't," he said sing-songy like he knew something I didn't.

"Yes, I do," I said, slowly.

"Not anymore," he smiled cheekily at me.

"Caleb," I elongated his name. "What did you do?"

"Nothing," he said, taking a step back with his hands up like he was showing me he was innocent. "I just called your boss and asked her for the day off."

"Just?" I teased. I thought about it for a second before asking, "And she was okay with it?"

"Yep," he said popping the "p".

I hummed, not hiding my surprise as I walked over to our closet and started searching for something to wear. "What kind of adventure are we going on? I need to know what to prepare for."

I heard him laugh as he walked up behind me, wrapping his arms around my waist. He rested his chin on my shoulder as I put my hands over his.