Lunch With Dad

Abby's POV

I was zoning in and out at work when my phone started going off. I checked to see my boss was still in her office before grabbing it. I sighed when I saw who it was.

"Hey, Dad."

"Hi, sweetie. I hope I'm not interrupting anything," he said almost accusingly.

"Nothing too big. What's up?" I asked, running my hand through my hair.

"I'd like to set up a lunch with you."

"Set up a lunch?" I asked. "You mean go to lunch with me? Your daughter?"

"Yes," he sighed. "I will meet you at Juan's Mexican Grill at noon."

"Okay. I will see you then." He hung up without saying anything. "I will see you for our lunch meeting, Mr. Peterson."

Noon came a lot faster than I had wished. Before I knew it, I was parked in front of the Mexican restaurant my dad had requested. I groaned as I got out of my car and headed inside.

"Hola and welcome to Juan's Mexican Grill. How many in your party?" The bored teenager asked me.

"Just me and one other. He is probably already here," I mumbled when I looked down at noticed I was three minutes late. And yes, three minutes is a big deal to my father.

"Mr. Peterson," the boy sighed like he already knew. "He said you'd be later."

I rolled my eyes as he grabbed a menu and started leading me through the restaurant. I bit my lip as my father came into view. He was sitting in a booth, talking to someone on the phone while doing work on a tablet.

"Hi, Dad," I said as I sat down. He didn't look up at me but held up one finger. I rolled my eyes as I took the menu from the waiter.

"I'll umm. . . I'll come back and take your order in a few minutes," he said, looking between my father and me.

My father just waved his hand admissibly while I sent the poor waiter a small smile. "Thank you."

I looked at my father before sighing. I turned my attention to the menu and started scanning the varied meals. "How was work?" I heard him ask.

"Was that to me?" I asked, sending him a knowing look. He hesitated before hanging up his phone and putting it and his tablet to the side.

"Sorry," he said, raising his hands to show they were empty. I waited for him to say something, but he just stared at me. I sighed as I turned my attention back to the menu.

"Are you guys ready to order?"

"Yes," my father said shortly. "I will have two pork tacos and a water. With lemon."

The waiter wrote it down and looked towards me, waiting for me to order. "Can I get a chicken quesadilla with guacamole on the side? And a diet coke."

"Alright, I will bring some chips and salsa while you wait." He took our menus and headed back to the kitchen.

I sat back, folded my hands in my lap, and waited for my dad to say something. He just smiled at me, making me feel uneasy.

"So?" I asked.

"So, how's work?"

"Work is good," I shrugged.

"Are you still Jenna Taylor's assistant?" He asked, sounding a bit condescending.

"Yes, dad." I sighed. "I am still the assistant to one of the top lawyers in town and no, I don't want to go any higher. I'm fine where I'm at."

"But, are you?"