Surprise

Abby's POV

Even though the results of the test and the evidence made it pretty clear, I still decided to go see a doctor to be a hundred percent sure. As I sat in the waiting room, I wasn't sure if I wanted the test to be right or wrong.

Caleb and I have always talked about starting a family. I just never thought we would start one while he was working a dangerous job miles away from home.

As soon as I saw that little plus sign, all I could think of was, what if Caleb doesn't make it home? I can't raise a baby on my own. I need Caleb in my life. I need his help to raise a baby.

"Abigail Peterson?"

I looked up to see a woman a few years older than me in light blue scrubs. I stood up, grabbed my bag and followed her. After the basic check-up, I was back to waiting with only my thoughts.

I nervously bounced my leg, my mind going everywhere. I jumped when the door opened.

"Hi, Abigail. My name is Doctor Brenda." I smiled as she shook my hand. "So, how are you feeling?"

"Nauseous, sick, nervous. And that's just my anxiety," I tried to joke. She sent me a smile before looking down at my chart.

"Not sure if this will help your anxiety or make it worse, but it looks like you are about a little over two months pregnant."

Everything froze. I tried to control my breathing as I lifted my left hand up to my stomach. I looked down and started nervously playing with my ring, slowly spinning it around.

I'm having a baby. . .

"Abigail," she said gently. "Are you alright, honey?"

"I don't know," I stuttered. "I mean. . . My fiancé and I have always wanted kids, for as long as I've known him but. . ."

She sat down and scooted over so she was right in front of me. "Abigail, what's wrong? If it's the cost, there are always options."

"No," I said cutting her off. I finally looked up at her, not bothering to try and hide how rough the past few weeks have been.

"What is it?" She asked.

"My fiancé, Caleb, is working on the oil rig. He isn't coming home for another month and I. . . What if he doesn't come home? I can't do this on my own."

Tears started streaming down my cheeks as I struggled to breathe. Dr. Brenda instantly jumped up and started to help calm me down. She rubbed small circles on my back, softly shushing me.

"Abigail," she said barely above a whisper. "It's going to be okay. I'm sure your fiancé is going to be just fine. He's going to come home and the three of you will be a family. You should tell him."

I bit my lip, debating. "This is something I should tell him in person. . . But if he doesn't make it home. . ."

"He will, Abigail," she said instantly. "You just have to keep telling yourself that. He will make it home to you. This probably isn't what you want to hear right now, but you need to try and stay relaxed. Now that you're pregnant, it's extremely important that you take it easy. Avoid anxiety triggers or anything that will raise your heart rate. It's. . . It's not good for the baby."

I nodded, taking a deep breath. I opened and closed my mouth, hesitating. "What is it?" She asked, well aware that I wanted to ask her something.

"Is there something. . . I mean, obviously safe for the baby, but something to help me sleep? I haven't been. . ."

I shook my head, looking back down at my ring. "Sure," she smiled as she patted my shoulder before walking over to the computer.

"I can also prescribe you something to help with your anxiety attacks."

I looked up at her, hesitating. "It's safe for the baby though, right?"

"Of course," she smiled as she wrote another prescription. She handed me the prescriptions, still smiling at me. "Abigail, honey. Everything is going to be okay."

"Thank you," I nodded, taking the paper from her.

I was just about to leave the exam room but stopped when she called me back.

"Congratulations, Abigail."