Chapter 1

Kayley's POV

I woke up at 8 on another Saturday of my life. I was feeling strangely well considering the events of the past week. I sat up in my bed, throwing the blanket off me. I was stiff and had to walk around for a couple minutes to get my joints to work properly. I maneuvered over to my closet and chose my outfit while singing What Makes You Beautiful.

While at the closet, I chose a ruffled tank top. It was light tan with flowers on it and lace on the straps. I chose my cutest shorts: dark and denim, along with some brown sandals. I saw my almost-19-year-old baby clothes sitting in a bin on the floor. I smiled and closed my closet door.

I walked over to the mirror. I stared into my electric blue eyes. They were the brightest blue eyes I had ever seen on a person. Well, except my parents.

My eyes shifted down to the bruise on my cheek left from Tuesday when Jordan, my boyfriend, had hit me. Again. He abused me. Not like sexual abuse or anything, but hitting me if I did something wrong or something he didn't like. Common sense had always told me to leave him. And I was about to. Until after my beating on Tuesday, he said to me, "Tell anyone about this or break up with me and I will kill you." Knowing Jordan, he most likely would've known ten different ways to kill someone with his bare hands.

Him hitting me didn't hurt so much anymore, but it still made me sad. I'm not one of those people who cut themselves when they're depressed. I just try to find happiness in other things. Like my best friend Kate. And One Direction.

I don't usually wear makeup, but when the bruises were bad, I had to use concealer on them. I was getting pretty good at it. I grabbed the little bottle and applied a bit of make up on the bruise. Once I was satisfied, I walked to the bathroom to brush my teeth and stuff. I combed through my dark brown hair, still a little damp from my shower the night before. Thank God I have naturally straight hair. So much less time spent in the morning. I brushed my teeth and went back to my room.

I had just put my wallet and my iPhone in my brown purse when I heard the car horn. Ahh, Kate was here. I ran downstairs and grabbed a breakfast bar to hold my hunger until lunch. My mum was at the table eating cereal.

"Where are you going?" she asked with a mouthful of cereal.

I laughed. "I told you on Thursday. I'm going to the mall with Kate."

"Oh. Well, have fun."

"Thanks, Mum," I said, walking out the door. "See ya!"

"Bye!" I heard her call before I shut the door.

Kate was sitting in her car. She had her dirty blonde hair straightened like it usually was. Her light blue eyes were glinting with excitement, and they stood out against her naturally tan skin. She was all-around pretty. Obviously, she always had the hot boyfriend while I was home alone fangirling over One Direction.

It was the first time we've gone to the mall in weeks. She desperately needed a shopping spree. I don't think I could've listened to her anymore about how badly she wanted to go to the mall. I walked across the yard, which was still wet with dew. My feet got all wet. Ugh. I got in the car, and of course, Kate had to start talking immediately.

"Hey Kayley! You ready to shop till we drop?!" Kate said. That was a bit strange. Even for her.

"Don't ever say that ever again," I laughed.

"Sorry," she said, flinging her arms out. She accidentally hit the horn, and we both laughed. The fun we had together.

She backed out of the driveway and headed towards the mall. I looked down and checked my phone for the London weather forecast for the day. Partly cloudy.

Kate was bouncing up and down in her seat.

"Did you take your medicine this morning?" I asked.

"Dang it! I forgot!" she said, smacking the steering wheel with the palm of her hand, hitting the horn again.

I rolled my eyes and said, "You always forget."

"So?"

If you haven't guessed by now, she's ADHD. She always "forgets" to take her meds.

I turned on the radio and WMYB was on. That. Song. Is. My. Jam. Kate and I are both Directioners, so we both started singing along, very loudly. Thankfully, we took the back roads to the mall, so no one saw her almost swerve off the road.

When we got to the mall, she parked in the closest parking space we could find. We got out of the car and pretty much ran to the doors. The first store we went to was Aeropostale. I love that store. Designer clothes that are super cheap. We walked through the doorway and immediately started walking to the tables and clothes racks.

Kate held a red skirt and a black and white striped shirt to her body.

"Louis!" she said. It's kinda a little joke we have.

I held a red polo to myself and said, "Niall!"

Gasp. A REALLY cute shirt caught my eye on the back wall. I tried to maneuver over there without hitting anyone with my purse or anything, but that wasn't about to happen anytime soon. I was almost there when I hit my shin on a table. Now, I'm a wimp, so that hurt a lot. You may be thinking, "If you get hit all the time, why would you cry if you hit your leg on a table?" Do you know how bad hitting your shin on the corner of a table hurts as opposed to being slapped? Running into furniture feels like you've been shot. I started to cry, and went back to Kate. (But not without buying that shirt first.)

I was just passing the dressing rooms when she saw me. Her eyes got really wide. Uhh, was she scared of me or something?

"Oh my gosh!" she said. "What happened?"

Kate, the ultimate drama queen. "I hit my leg on the table back there."

"No. What happened to your face?!" she said, holding a mirror out to me. Where she just pulled a random mirror from, I don't know. I looked, and I got scared. For my life. Crying had washed the makeup right off my bruise. Now I would have to tell her what was going on. My life was about to get a lot more complicated.

------------------------------

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

This is my very first fanfic, so please bear with me; it will suck. But we all have to start somewhere, yeah? :) I know this is a short chapter, but aren't all first chapters short? Vote/Comment/Fan/Share!

Over and out *wink and kiss like GloZell*

-Becky xx