Chapter 14: The First Taste

My body was aching. There was a soft searing pain below my heart and it intensified at random intervals. I rolled over onto my side. The bed I was laying on felt amazing but, the throbbing pain in my stomach would ruin every feeling of comfort I found. I couldn’t stand it anymore. I thrust myself off the white sheeted bed and stood barefoot on the carpet. If I kept moving it’d go away, I repeated this mantra for a while hoping that in some way it’d fix me. I walked over to the door in Archer’s room and tried twisting the knob. It was locked. A feeling of annoyance began to encase me. I thought we were done with this. I sat down at the desk in the room and looked for things to preoccupy myself. As I was doing this, I came to notice for the second time just how put together Archer’s room looked. The desk where I was sitting fit so well that I was jealous of it. I had never been able to fit in like this. Sighing, I took a look at the centerpiece on the whitewashed desk. The rose in the vase looked as fresh as it probably did when it was picked. As I petted the flower, the crimson red of its petals intensified my pain and brought dryness to my throat. A recap of this nights events soon followed. 

I had changed into a vampire, not fully of course, but enough to crave blood. I had pounced on Archer wanting his blood in my mouth. The thought alone brought a rush of pink to my face. How unbecoming of a lady to throw herself at a man. Would he even want me anyway or any man for that matter?  I looked in the mirror and analyzed my features to find some evidence of attractiveness. I looked relatively the same way, sweet looking, blond hair, fair skin, small nose, and pink lips. I looked to my eyes that were once my pride and joy. They hardly felt like mine and struck  fear into my heart. This wasn’t because they were black, it was because green was supposed to be there. It’s easy to look at a vampire and not be scared. It’s another thing entirely to look at yourself and not know what you’re capable of. To make it worse, Anthony’s reaction to this turn of events surprised me. It was kind of like he rejected me. I will never forget the look of disgust on his face when he saw me come into the room crying. 

Honestly, what was I going to do? Hurt him? He then told me to lie down but, now I’m locked in this god forsaken room. Then I realized, Why am I even locked in here? Anger instantly arose. Why am I accepting this? In long strides I made my way to the door and started to bang on it. “Assholes! Open this door.” I exclaimed, “ I’ll break it down.” 

I heard the grinding of the door unlocking and made a cheer of victory. The door opened outward and on the outside was Anthony. He looked apathetically at me and continued to ask what was wrong.

“What’s wrong Anthony is that I’m locked in this room for god knows what reason and I’m hurting everywhere, and you seem to hate me now, and I just want to go home and be with my friends.” I rambled on and on feeling the sting of tears. A lump formed in the pit of my throat. Anthony frowned down at me and pulled me into a hesitant hug. 

“I don’t hate you Selene.”  He whispered to me, “I’m just upset that you changed so soon.”

The lump dissipated and I held Anthony closer. “You aren’t the only one who's upset over this.” 

“I know you didn’t ask for this and that’s what makes it worse.” He sighed hugging me tighter, 

“Your life is about to change way more than it has and I just want to protect you from all the pain you're about to feel. That’s my job, to protect you and I can’t.”