Chapter 5 : Unaswered Questions

Chapter 5: Questions Unanswered

The darkness led on infinitely. The relaxed feeling I went in with seemed to have slowly chipped away the longer I was in here. There wasn’t any source of light so; the walkway was darker than regular darkness. I stopped walking abruptly. I couldn’t push on any farther. For all I knew there was something at the end of the tunnel ready to kill me. Something brushed my back and I jumped.

“Why did you stop walking?” Archer whispered behind me, “It’s safe.”

“How am I supposed to know that it’s safe?” I said hinting at my annoyance.

“Quite frankly, I don’t care what you know.” He whispered placing his hand on my lower back urging me forward, “All that matters is what I’m telling you, and what I’m telling you is that it’s safe. Now walk.” His voice wasn’t monotone like normal, it was slightly more dangerous. I gulped.

I felt his hand slide from my lower back to the side of my waist. The heat that his hand produced on my skin merely through my shirt was so unnatural. Why is my body reacting this way towards him? He gripped my side firmly. I felt him reach past me to grab something in front of us.  

“Selene, when I open this door whatever you do don’t run because it’ll only cause you a serious problem.” He warned. I rolled my eyes at him. Of course, if he says don’t run I’m going to run. Maybe he’s expecting that to be what happens and he’s already preparing to catch me.

“Well, what’s this problem that’s just so terrible?” I mocked him.

His grip tightened on me to the point of it hurting slightly.

“Death.” He said frankly.

“I don’t believe you.” I gulped, “Your obviously lying just to see if I run.”

He loosened his grip on me and opened the door.

Light violated the dark. He pulled me into a corridor that seemed to go on for miles leaving me awe stricken. The beauty of the area was just incredible. The walls were a slight golden brown with a royal looking red as the carpet. It was two stories and I could see that the balconies had men in the shadows.  We were walking down the corridor in whichever direction Archer thought was the right one. I felt like a kid in Disney world for the first time. I just couldn’t choose the way I wanted to bend my head to look at all the things around me. I saw chandeliers with beautiful crystals dripping down them.

Archer pulled me around a corner and I was bombarded by portraits of men sitting on a chair, holding a sword, or smiling head on. I wanted to touch them but, archer’s speed was way too much for me. 

We came along a door with two men at its side standing tall and looking straight forward.

Archer let go of my side.  He pointed at me as a challenge. “Remember what I said.”

He entered the room leaving me with the too strange guards. They seemed to have relaxed slightly when Archer left. I see, Archers something of a top dog around here. I began to teeter on my feet. It was one of my nervous gestures.