Chapter Fifteen

Aunt Susan and Margaret finally returned just in time for our midday meal. They were leaving again, though, but this time with me. We were to go to a fancy ball hosted by the Peterson's.

"Jack is to stay home with Annalise!" Margaret squealed. "Isn't that sweet Liesel?"

"Yes, Margaret," I mumbled.

"Don't mumble while your there, Liesel, it's improper. Oh, and I picked out a nice emerald green gown for you. Please do hurry Liesel, we still have to do your hair, jewelry, and shoes!" Aunt Susan went on and on.

"You'll want to look nice if there's any gentlemen to be waiting on you!" Margaret smiled slyly. I rolled my eyes and went upstairs to get ready for Aunt Susan's social event.

On my way to my room I decided to check on Annalise. She was with Jack, of course. I sighed and trudged back to my room and take a look at the gown Aunt Susan bought me.

I was actually pleasantly surprised when I saw it. The dress was a deep emerald green with sparkling gems dotting it. I smiled. Aunt Susan and Margaret do have a good sense of style.

Margaret knocked on my door. "Come in," I called. She gasped when she came in.

"Oh, Liesel, you look beautiful! Come, let's do your hair!" I giggled as she combed through my hair and pulled it right and left. The finished masterpiece: a stunning French braid. Margaret topped it off with an emerald hair pin.

"Come! Let's go show Annalise," she winked. I ran after her and slid to a stop in Annalise's room, laughing.

"Liesel! You look amazing! Just like Mother." Annalise smiled.

"Not as pretty as you. You look like Mother, I look like Father," I said, matter-of-fact. Annalise shook her head and smiled.

"Margaret! Liesel! Hurry down please! John isn't going to wait forever to escort us!" Margaret and I slipped and slid down the recently mopped floor. Tonight was going to be the perfect night.