Chapter Seven

"Margaret, where's Annalise?" I asked as I shed my rain coat at the front door.

"Why! Look who's home! You were out for a while! Come in dear! Oh, you'll catch a cold! You should've come back in when it starting raining! I'll take that! Liesel you really..."

"Margaret! Please, just tell me where Annalise is. I want to work on my sewing with her." I grunted irritably.

"Annalise? Hmm.. I don't really know dear. Umm.." Margaret mumbled nervously.

"She's out with Jack." Aunt Susan took my coat and ushered me in.

"You let her go out with him?! But it's three o' clock! We always do sewing together!" I cried incredulously.

"She's old enough to make her own decisions and go where she pleases, Liesel. You may do your sewing on your own."

"Yes ma'am."

"Margaret, polish the floors. We have guests coming" Aunt Susan commanded. We always have guests. Ever since Aunt Susan moved in and took over the household, the guests have been relentless. At least three times a week, Margaret must furiously scrub and sweep and polish and set the table and so on. At least three times a week, Katherine must cut and toast and boil and pour and so on. At least three times a week John must take the coats and escort the guests and wait on them. At least three times a week I must put on my finest clothes and brush my hair and help the maids.A sigh escapes my mouth I should be thankful that Aunt Susan graciously took us in.

Shaking my head, I trudged up the stairs, curling my hair in my fingers. I was running out of dresses to wear. I slowly creaked open my door. Aunt Susan had already laid out a dress for me. It was pink.

She knows I don't like pink dresses. I only wear black dresses. Only. Black. Dresses. I've kindly told her that I do not wear pink or purple or blue and so on dresses. I carefully pulled the dress of my bed, folded it, and tucked it away in a drawer. I took out a lacy black dress I wore two weeks ago when the Robisons' came over to have tea with Aunt Susan.

I hurried down the steps. I was seven minutes late for my sewing "class" with Aunt Susan.

"There you are. You're eight minutes late," she scolded.

"I apologize, Aunt Susan," I curtsied.

"Liesel, would you please tell me what you are wearing? I don't recall laying that out for you."

"I don't wear pink, Aunt Susan."

"You wear what I lay out for you. Now go upstairs and change."

"Yes, Aunt Susan."

"I mean it, Liesel. And don't dawdle. You are already late for sewing class"

I trudged up the stairs once more. Pink was such a disagreeable color. Mother would have disapproved of me wearing anything but black after a death. Especially hers. I shake my head again.

"There you are. You are now eighteen minutes late."

"I'm sorry, Aunt Susan."

"Begin sewing now, please."

"Yes Aunt Susan." I grabbed last week's work and threaded the thread through the needle. I was still sour at Aunt Susan and Annalise. Why did I have to participate in sewing "class" and Annalise didn't? Though Annalise completed her schooling, Aunt Susan still made her sew with us, so why is today any different?I know shouldn't be complaining. It's un-ladylike.

I sighed. Why couldn't Mother be here?