Chapter Thirteen

"Sir, may I speak with you?" I stood on the front steps of John Hathway's house, freezing from the fall chill. It was a blustery morning, and I held my shawl tight.

"Yes, of course. Come in."

"I have decided to join your writer's group." The words flowed out of my mouth. 

"That's excellent! In fact, it may start right now," he said as he lit a pipe.

"What about the other people?"

"Other people! There are no other people, my darling. It's just you and me, and of course Meredith," he chuckled.

"Pardon me?" I gasp in disbelief.

"My dear, I'm going to teach you how to write. The Washington Press has asked you to write for them! You must take this opportunity Liesel, it would be a tragedy if you didn't."

"You don't understand! I can't write anymore! I just can't! Even if I tried, I wouldn't be able to. I'm sorry. You're going to have to find someone else." Tears rolled down my cheeks. This was too much for me to handle. "Good day sir." And with that I nearly ran out of his house. I hastened my pace once I thought I was out of sight and finally broke into a run. The clouds I flew by were a blur of white-gray swirls. It was just like how my life was. A blur of things.

Instead of going home, I ran towards Max's store instead. I hadn't seen him in such a long time. And anyways, anything seemed better than seeing Aunt Susan and Annalise and Margaret.

A bell rang as I swung open the door to the shop, panting.

"Liesel! Is that you?" Max gasped.

"Max!" At first I resisted the urge to run into his arms, but eventually my heart won and he gave me a big hug. "I missed you so much Max."

"I missed you too Liesel. Where have you been all these years?"

"I've been busy. You know, without Mother, and now Annalise's ill..."

"Oh! Please do forgive me. I am terribly sorry Miss Mckormic. And did you say Annalise is ill?"

"Yes, quite."

"Oh. I'm sorry Liesel." I felt the tension between us after all these years. Staring out the window, I realized that nothing had really changed in the scheme of things. It seemed only I had changed.

"Well, I better be going. Thanks for your time, Max." He waved goodbye as I pushed open the door and felt the rush of cold air flood my face.

I wasn't ready to go home quite yet.