Chapter Three

I slowly spun around in a circle as Margaret inspected my lacy black dress. "Your mother would be proud," she said as she wiped a tear away. I stood very still and composed. My face was pale. I had not said a word since Annalise stood in my doorway crying.

Mother was hit by a wagon; the driver had lost control of the horses and they ran straight into my mother. I had always thought that horses were stupid animals.

"Well, I'll meet you downstairs. Is there anything I can do to help you?" Margaret asked. I shook my head. Margaret headed downstairs. I sat on my bed. Why couldn't I have said goodbye? Why did Mother have to die upset and disappointed with me? And how could I be so selfish last night and embarrass her?

"Liesel! Come down now! The funeral starts in twemty minutes!" Margaret called. I glumly made my way to the front entry. "Come now, darling, here's your coat." A gust of cold wind hit my face as I opened the door. I no longer enjoyed the fresh air. Annalise swung the car door open (we were the few in town that had a car) and looked at me with pity. I frowned and slid over to the far left seat and stared out the window. Once we arrived, I sat in the back of the church with my head down. Margaret and Annalise sat with me, as did John, our butler, and Katherine, another maid. I scooted farther away from them. Refusing to listen to the prayers and such, I returned to my thoughts. I, however, strayed away from thinking about my stories. Mother was right, they were just trash. Nobody every seemed to like them anyway when they read them. I had officially given up on my dreams of being a writer.

Once we returned, I went up to my room and lied down. I then fell into a deep slumber.

I dreamt of Mother and Father. I dreamt of the nights Father read to me. I dreamt of the times when Mother cradled me in her arms. I dreamt of their love for me.

I swear I heard Annalise and Margaret whispering downstairs. Whispering about me. Whispering about where me and Annalise would live now.

When I finally awoke, Annalise was sitting at the end of my bed. "Hey Liesel," she said gently. "Why don't you go outside and run around?"

"I'm too old for that," I replied. Annalise sighed. I could tell I was going to get a lecture. But it never came.

"Well, Aunt Susan will be here in an hour, so just be ready." With that she left the room. Tears ran down my face. I felt alone, sad, and upset. I felt like I'd feel this way forever. After all, Mother was never coming back.