Chapter Two

I slowly sat up in my bed and yawned. Suddenly my eyes brightened. It was a Saturday! The one day with no nagging from Mother. Saturday was errand day, where Mother would travel to town for groceries, clothes, and any other necessity. She also goes to her women's club(which I think is ridiculous) before returning home. I jumped out of my bed and dashed to my dresser. I pulled out a pale blue dress, which was my Saturday dress. The comb yanked at my hair, making me cringe every time it went through a large knot. I then threw it up in a ponytail.

Margaret handed me a blueberry muffin, my favorite. " Have fun today, Liesel," she smiled. I smiled back and waved as I strode out the door. The fresh air felt cool against my burning cheeks. Wind chased the cherry tree branches, the petals danced to the ground, and the waves from the river lapped against the shore; begging for attention. I danced around in circles, twirling and falling and laughing. Another perfect day had arrived.

I finally pranced over to my favorite cherry tree and plopped down underneath its shady canopy. I took out my pen, and let the words flow to my paper.

"Here's your ham sandwich, Liesel." Margaret held the sandwich in her hand. I looked up with a start. "Lunch already?" I questioned, taking the sandwich.

"It's noon, Liesel," Margaret replied. I shrugged and dug into the sandwich. I felt the mayonnaise  oozing out of the corners. Margaret left, leaving me to my thoughts once again. I rose, and decided to visit town. I just hoped Mother wouldn't see me. Skipping on the freshly trimmed lawn, I decided I would visit Max, the owner of one of the towns beloved stores. Arriving in town, out of breath, I swung open the door of the old shoe shop. "Max! Max!"

"Why hello Liesel!" How's your latest story coming along?" he asked.

"Fantastic! I'm almost finished," I said as I laughed.

"Do you know what you want for your birthday?" My thirteenth birthday was coming up soon, and naturally I was excited.

"A new journal! And chocolate!"

"Ah, you want chocolate, ey?"

"Who wouldn't want chocolate?" The thought of the smooth, creamy, sweet taste made my mouth water.

"I can help with that," he smiled and pulled out a small piece of homemade chocolate, most likely made by his grandmother.

"Oh thank you Max!" I squealed.

"All right now, I have customers to take care of..."

"Okay Max, I'll see you later!" I happily skipped out of the door, and ran the rest of the way home.

"I'm home!" I called. I inspected the hallways and the rooms, looking for Mother or Margaret. Neither were to be found. I finally discovered Margaret in the library, using the telephone. I waved to her. She looked up sorrowfully. I thought nothing of it, and skipped up to my room. Yawning, I took a book from my book shelf and hopped in bed.

Annalise came up twenty minutes later, teary-eyed, standing in my doorway. "What happened to you?" I asked her. Then Margaret arrived and blurted out:

"She's dead!" Margaret sobbed. "Your Mother is dead!"

This could not be happening. My mother can not be dead.