Chapter Fourteen

I ended up going home after four hours of being out and about. Margaret was probably worried sick about me, and Aunt Susan was probably furious. I needed to see Annalise anyways.

I creaked open the front door to hear silence, which was surprising for this time of day. "Hello?" I ran upstairs to check on Annalise. She was still sleeping peacefully in her bed. I breathed a sigh of relief.

"Annalise? Where is everyone?" I asked, worried.

"Shopping," she managed to get out.

"And they just left you here?" She pointed to the other side of her bed. Jack was snoozing on the floor. So he was more faithful to her than I thought.

At that I stepped out of her room, not wishing for him to wake up and find me spying on him. Although I couldn't help but  stand at the door and peaked through the crack and watched them.

"Darling, you feeling better?" He held her hand.

"Yes." She looked up at him affectionately. I saw him brush her pale cheek and draw his lips towards hers. I looked away. That was enough for me.

I went next door to my own room and pulled a heavy leather book off my shelf. I decided I would spend the remainder of the morning reading since no one was home.

I soon absorbed myself in a story about Christmas elves and giants. It made me laugh for the first time in a while. My heart ached a little, though, realizing that I could be creating these wonders.

"Liesel? May I speak to you for a minute?" It was Jack. My heart sank. I was hoping it would be Annalise, though I knew she still couldn't get out of bed.

"Yes." He came over to me and sat on my bed.

"You know I love your older sister very much, right?" I nodded my head, feeling like a child. "Well, I am honored to have her as my future wife, and honored to have you as the bridesmaid. I need you Liesel. Will you be there for your sister and me?"

"Yes. If she survives."

"Liesel. She will. I know she will."