Chapter 1

"Tope!" My mum yells, making me roll my eyes.

"I wonder why she is shouting," I mumble as I search for my phone and switch it on, wincing at the bright light. "It's seven in the morning," I add.

"Temitope oh!" She yells again. I quickly yell back a- "Ma!"

"jade nibi! You will miss your flight oh,"

As I suddenly realize, I had a flight scheduled for nine o'clock to New York. Quickly springing into action, I hurry to the bathroom to complete my morning routine. I received a scholarship to attend New York University, which has made my parents incredibly excited and proud.

When I received the email from NYU, my parents celebrated by giving me gifts and offering their prayers. Witnessing their happiness brings me joy.

After finishing my task, I quickly head downstairs to find my parents. I see my father, Bamidele Martins, enjoying his morning routine - reading the newspaper in his usual chair, coffee in hand. I greet him with a smile, knowing it's just like him. "Good morning, Dad," I say, giving him a kiss on the cheek. He chuckles and returns the greeting.

"How are you?" He asks.

"I'm good, You?"

"Wonderful." I walk to the kitchen and kiss mum, Anastasia Martins. "Morning Mum," She smiles.

"Morning baby, come have your breakfast before heading out," I help her set the food on the dining table. We have a little prayer, before digging in. Dad teases mum while I laugh and watch in awe as mum blushes everytime.

After breakfast, we all head out for the airport. "Are you okay, honey?" Dad asks looking at me through the rearview mirror, mum turns back and look at me worried.

"Y-yes dad." I fidget.

"You are not, you look pale," Mum interjects. "I don't think I can stay away from you two for a long time," I sigh.

"Oh honey, you can do it. Just be a good girl for mummy and I." Dad assures while mum smiles and I nod.

Alright then.

We get to the airport and I pay for my ticket. We sit at the waiting arena, waiting for me to be called upon.

"Alexandra Martins," A woman calls through the speaker. "Here we go," I laugh with a shaky breath. I hug my parents tightly. "I will miss you both," They just smile and I enter the plane.

------

Did I mention I was scared of flight?!
No? well I am, I am literally freaking out here.

My eyes closed, I clench my seat tightly. "Dear?" I hear a tiny voice call, I open my eyes slowly to meet a pretty white woman in her 40's staring at me worriedly.

"Y-yes ma," I reply.

"I can't help but see you shaking, what's wrong?"

"I'm s-scared of f-flights,"

"Oh my, don't be. Just breathe in and out," She instructs and I comply. "That's it, you'll be fine," In a minute I was stable but she holds my hands all through the flight.

We get down the stairs and walk out to the busy street of New York. I was mesmerized with NY's beauty.

"So where are you off to?" The nice lady, whom I got her name as Debbie, asks.

"Um," I say and show her my address. She chuckles. "Oh, Middle east street. Well my driver will be passing through there, we will drop you off," She offers and I smile gratefully.

We walk to an expensive looking car with a man standing at the cardoor.
"Welcome ma'am, how was your flight?" The man asks. "Great Sebastian, thank you," Debbie says and enters the car.

"Welcome ma'am," Sebastian nods at me and I smile.

In a second, Sebastian drives towards the city. New York is so beautiful with large buildings and companies, I watch through the window as people rush to get to their destination on the busy street. It amazes and at the same time excites me, I make a mental note of going for a tour round the city.

The car pulls over and Debbie turns to me, "Alright dear, we are here. If you need anything at all, I mean anything, call me." She hands me her business card.

"Thank you ma, goodnight," I hug her. I walk to my apartment and knock on the door.

Hopefully my roommate would be nice and great.

The door swings open revealing a smiling blonde haired. "Hel-" Before I could finish, she hugs me tightly.

"Hey! You must be Alexandra, the Nigerian. You are prettier than I thought, I'm Melissa, Lisa for short," She beams.

She is the talking type, nice.

"Nice to meet you," I smile and stretch my hand for a handshake but she hugs me again, really tight this time. "Nice to meet you too, oh we are gonna be besties, I can feel it." She giggles, still crushing me.

"Yeah sure, but could you um.. let loose a little before I suffocate," I say all squashed up.

"Oh, sorry," She lets go of me. "So feel free, its your apartment too. Food will be ready soon," She continues.

"Thank you," I manage a smile and head for my room to keep my bags.

My room was small but homie. It was painted blue with a touch of white and matching curtains, the bed was big and soft. There was a dresser close to the bed and a fluffy rug was laid around the room. I smile.

I put out my things and walk to the bathroom to freshen up. After putting on my pyjamas, I head to the kitchen and help Lisa with the dishes. We sit on the kitchen counter and eat our dinner of macaroni and cheese.

"So how was your flight?" Lisa asks.

"It was okay. I'm not a fan of flights and a nice lady helped me out," I smile remembering Debbie.

"That's great," She nods. "What about your parents?" She continues.

"They are good," I pick the plates and wash the dishes while Lisa clears the counter.

We move to the living room and we talk about our favorites, parents and school. Turns out Melissa is a pretty and funny soul. We had a lot of things in common. We later say our goodnights and head to bed. Once my body hits the bed, I was out like a feather.

★★★
A/N

Hey guys! I'm sorry for the short chapter, but I assure you, they would get longer as the chapters go by.

Love ya,

Tessy.🌹