Chapter 3

Joe's P.O.V.
Luckily lunch was what Nick needed to get his blood sugar back up. The effects of the low blood sugar began to affect him. Now he's slowly morphing back to the Nick we know.

7 years ago. I'll never forget that day. I was 16, Kevin was 18, Pippa was 11, Frankie was 5 and Nick was 13.

I will never forget that dark period. We were slowly losing our brother. I remember everything really clear as if it happened yesterday.

Sometimes I still break down over it. Which feels a little weird considering the fight we're slowly working through.

It was heartbreaking to see Nick go down that path. He wasn't himself anymore.

I remember till this day the expression on Kevin's face when he spoke his concerns about Nick's weight. How his bones were showing through his flesh and how it couldn't be healthy.

The way Nick drank his water. He drank so many gallons a day. It was petrifying when we decided to take Nick to the hospital.

It meant I couldn't deny it anymore. I couldn't deny anymore that nothing was wrong with my little brother who I love to pieces. I never stopped loving him and I certainly never gave up on him.

I was so scared when we entered the hospital. I tried not to be scared, because Nick seemed horrified.

Horrified by the big hospital and the thought of something being wrong with him.

My hands were shaking. I held my breath as we entered the hospital. I saw dad put his hand on Nick's shoulder. We all knew Nick didn't like to be touched, but I figured Nick allowed it because he could feel the tension and dad's sadness.

Mom tried her best to hide her feelings from us. To be strong for Nick, for Frankie, for Pippa, for Kevin and for me.

Dad had walked up to the front desk and had a short conversation with the lady behind it. She pointed down the hallway and my dad answered with a nod.

He walked back over to us and explained we had to wait in a waiting before a doctor would be available for us. Well, available for Nick.

We all sat down in the waiting room. "Are you scared?" Our mom asked Nick.

He shook his head. "I'm going to use the bathroom." Dad wanted to tell him to stay, but Nick went anyways. A few minutes later I decided to go too.

I'll never forget what I've seen that day.

I walked into the bathroom. I figured I wouldn't see Nick, or I would have seen him wash his hands. None of that was the case.

I found him on the floor. He looked so small, like a little kid. He looked so innocent and lost.

He was crying his eyes out. I'd frozen up, upon entering the bathroom, but I outgrew my frozen state very quick. I walked over and sat next to him.

He threw himself into me and cried his heart out.

"You are scared." I stated. "I'm terrified." He stated through his sobs. "What if I'm dying?" He asked me. It was heartbreaking. Hearing him say that. What if it were true? I did my best not to cry as well. He needed me now. I couldn't let him down.

I heard the door open. I look up to see Kevin enter the bathroom. He smiles sadly when he sees me on the floor with Nick still clinging to my chest.

"The doctor is ready for you." Nick lets out a sob at that sentence. I hold him tighter in my arms. "Come on, Nicky. It'll be okay." I soothe him. "It's going to be okay. We won't leave your side." I go on.

Nick loosens his grip on my shirt and I slowly release my grip around him. Kevin helps the both of us up onto our feet.

We waited for Nick to wash his hands and to dry his tears. His sobs had turned into hiccups.

We then followed Kevin back to our parents and to whom I figured was the doctor.

"Good afternoon gentlemen." The doctor spoke. He had held out his hand for Nick and I to shake.

I introduced myself, but I remember Nick being too scared and he hid behind Kevin and I.

"Come on, Nicky. He's going to help you." Dad urged Nick to greet the doctor.

"Nicholas. I would like you to follow me so we could do some tests." I know Nick's appearance concerned the doctor, but he hid his worries well.

Nick turned to look at Kevin and I. His eyes seemed so scared and I know I made a promise.

Kevin was the first to respond. He reached out his hand for Nick to take, but he sadly withdrew his hand when Nick only stared at it.

"Let's go Nicholas. The faster we get the tests done, the faster we know what's bugging you. The faster we know, the faster I can help you get better." The doctor reassured him.

"Not without my brothers." Nick whispered.

My mom smiled. It made her happy that he was at least willing to go now. He's been so stubborn, but only because he is afraid. Afraid of what might be wrong.

I took Nick's hand and whispered to him that I'd made a promise and that I was going to keep it.

I had turned to Kevin who had trouble to keep himself together in front of us. He'd made a promise to us that he wouldn't let us get hurt.

He feels like he failed Nick. He failed him and he can't nurse him back together.

Nick took both our hands and we walked after the doctor.

He kept himself so tough when the doctor and nurses ran the tests.

When he was done, he'd been assigned to a room. They'd brought him to the room and he laid in the big hospital bed.

The hospital bed made him look so little. It was like he was my 6 year old brother again who had fallen off his bike and scraped his elbow.

But this little boy. There wasn't much of my little brother left, and with the diagnoses of Type 1 diabetes, Kevin and I both knew we had to fix him back together.