Chapter 9 - Elongated Journey into Night

MacKenzie's POV

Caitlin is pacing around the cortex when I walk in.

"There you are!" Caitlin exclaimes, rushing over to me and hugging me.

"Nice to see you too?" I question her hug.

"Where have you been?" Caitlin asks. "I called the school after you didn't show up two hours after the end of the day and they said you weren't there."

"Oh." I say. "I was at therapy." I tell her.

"You were?" Caitlin asks.

"Yes." I tell her. "You wanted me to go to therapy, so I went."

"Barry said he dropped you off this morning." Caitlin says.

"He did drop me off." I say. "We had our session, I went to school, then after school I went again cause I needed to talk."

"You had me so worried." Caitlin says, hugging me. She pulls away. "Is there anything you want to talk about?" 

"Not really." I say, shrugging. 

"We need to get you a phone so you can contact us if you're going to be walking home from school and therapy." Caitlin says. 

"Sweet, really?" I ask, excited.

"Yes." Caitlin says. "But first, homework."

"Ugh." I groan.

I walk over to the desk, drop my bag by my feet and start doing some math homework.

***

Iris sits next to me in the cortex. Joe and Barry stand next to the desk, Joe trying to help me with literature.

"Why is the scariest person I've ever seen roaming our halls?" Caitlin asks, walking in.

"Cisco." Both Joe and Barry say at the same time.

"Oh." Caitlin says.

"Okay, so, I've got the coroner's report for the death of the bus driver, but it doesn't seem like there's any signs of foul play." Iris says.

"Aside from him being the one guy that could have told us who else was on that bus." Joe says.

"They logged his personal effects, let's see Credit cards, cash, receipts, um..." Iris shifts through the stuff. I put my books into my bag and start paying attention.

"Wait, go back." Barry say. "Ralph Dibny." Barry reads.

"I'll be damned." Joe says.

"Who's Ralph Disney?" I ask.

"Dibny." Joe corrects. "He used to be a cop."

"Dirty cop." Barry says. "He got kicked off the force."

"For what?" Iris asks.

"It's a long story." Joe says,

Iris puts the picture of Ralph Dibny up on the screen.

"That's him." Barry says.

"Oh." Iris says. "He's handsome in a square-jawed Oliver Queen kind of way."

"For real?" Barry asks.

"Babe, you know I've only got eyes for you." Iris says.

"The I.O.U. is dated the same day that I came out of the Speed Force." Barry says.

"You think Dibny was on the bus that day? Maybe he's a meta-human now?" Caitlin suggests.

"Let's pay him a visit." Barry says.