Group (Shen)

I did not know myself why I kept meeting his eyes, and why I kept being drawn to them. I want to be closer to him to find his weakness, at least that is what I keep telling myself. When we locked eyes, I had to look away.  

The group project was my idea. A start to try and change things around here. And of course being put in same team as Zhao was also part of my plan.  This guy named Da Qing had already made a group chat, and noticed Zhao did not bother reading most of the messages. Jenny had booked a group room for us to meet up before lunch just to introduce ourselves and maybe talk about ideas. 

As I got there, seemed like everyone was there already, except Zhao. I greeted them shyly and sat down next to this one guy looking extremely nervous. Everyone was quiet not saying anything until 

"Hi, I am Da Qing" and he smiled and looked around, he looked like a nice guy, followed by

"and I am Zhu Hong"  she was pretty and elegant, then other girl said

"I am Cheng Jenny, but I prefer just Jenny" she said cutely , and then 

"I am Guo ChangCheng" he said nervously looking down, then all eyes on me

"I am Shen Wei"  I said with a low voice. Then they started to talk about where Jenny was from and the talk flew naturally. Guo and myself stayed quiet for the most of the time, only replied when they asked us something directly, I stayed quiet to stay in character but also to observe them, trying to read them. 

Suddenly everyone froze looking up to a certain someone walking in. Zhao. He glanced at us, and just sat down, without a word. 

"we just introduced ourselves , what about you?" he asked Zhao, he only looked at us with cold eyes. Room was so silent that you could hear a pin drop. He sighed

"since everyone is here, should be easy to guess who I am, and I don't need to know your names, just get to the point about the project so I can leave" 

he said rudely. Man what an asshole I thought.

So we started discussing the project . We had gathered the main subjects for it, and was splitting it up for everyone to do some work about it before next time we meet.

Two subjects was left, music and economics and only Zhao and I had not chosen one yet, I looked at him, while he was looking out the window

"I will take the music part" he said then got up to leave without a word. 

As he left, Da qing exhaled , 

"wow, it felt so cold when he was here, wonder why he is like that"

"don't you know?"  Zhu Hong said, and looked around, we all shook our heads,  she told us to come closer, and she whispered 

"Rumor says, he is a gangster, and that if you get close to him, you will die, his bestfriend died last year because of it" 

I felt my heart drop when I heard that, I m sure she was talking about my cousin Lin Jing.  Guo was shaking now, 

"are we safe being in same group as him then" he asked with a shaky voice, and I noticed he had tears falling down his cheeks.  Da stroke his back, 

"we should be, not like we are his friends and working with him willingly" he said with a hint of uncertainty in his voice.  The bell rang for lunch and we all left our different ways. 

I had a lot of thoughts, felt a bit bad about hearing about him having to be alone, seemed like it was not something he had chosen himself, but forced.  But why,? I had more questions now then before I got here. I clearly remember my Jing telling me how he betrayed him, how he was crying his heart out to me few days before he died. 

I was not paying attention when I sat down on a empty table to eat.  I felt some eyes on me, and saw Zhao on a different table eating alone looking at me, his eyes became intense, it was like he was trying to read me. I shifted in my seat, and was about to eat when someone pushed my food on the floor, and told me to get away from their table.  I looked up and saw R4 with minions. 

"I I I so sorry"  I said with a weak voice, and got down to pick up the food, as I was bending down, they kicked me down, and kept kicking me over and over. I know how to cover my vital parts not to get hurt to much, but I lost focus, and was in serious pain, and was almost blacking out. When they suddenly stopped and walked all over me.  And again no one tried to stop them, it was like I was air.  

I crawled up, and went to the bathroom.  I looked into the mirror, dirty with food and blood. Tears started falling, not because I was in pain, it was painful but just thinking about Jing going through this, all alone, made my heart hurt, what made it worse was the thought of Zhao, not doing anything to help him. Remember seeing him with bruises when we had video chat, and it broke me, I should have come back earlier.  Rage was replacing my sadness and I smashed my fist into the mirror breaking it.  At that moment Zhao walked in, and our eyes locked, had to try really hard to shift my personality back to weak, because at that moment I really wanted to beat the shit out of him. 

I saw a hint of smirk on his lips, but it faded quickly, and he just stared at me coldly, hope he did not notice I thought.  He was about to turn and walk out again, when he stopped in his track, and said

"don't let people see you cry, it will only make it worse, If you can't keep it in, the rooftop has a secret corner no one goes to"  his voice was cold, but with a hint of caring, then he left without looking back.

I was caught off guard with that, why would he tell me that, that is kind of helping me? I went back to cleaning myself, stuff did not come off , but I was prepared and had a change of clothes in my backpack, so I changed. 

After I changed, I walked up to the rooftop to be alone, gather my mind. Found the room, he spoke off. It was an old glass house or something, probably been used for gardening long time ago. It was in bad shape but it was alright sitting there. 

Suddenly my phone buzzed, saw it was from Mr C

"are you okay? you looked pale, need anything?

I texted him back, 

"no, I'm fine, thank you for not stepping in today"

I know it is hard for him to not step in. He has been protecting me almost my life, and his instinct is always my safety first.So it made me regret speaking to him so harshly yesterday. Suddenly a shadow blocking the sun over me, who said

"so why do you hate me?"

yay, another up, I really want to know if my pace is alright, or if you think its to slow or fast. Thanks to those who already voted, just hope you enjoy the story :)