Chapter 40 (unfinished from 2013)

"Lay off of him Dominic. He imprinted on her, they're soul mates and Paul lost Bella before he ever really had her. It's not easy for him; the person he's meant for belongs to somebody else and there's nothing he can do. So he did the only thing he could, accepted it and took her best interests to heart. Bella has been happy with Sam, he did what he had to to get her back to his old alpha. Exactly where she belongs. He hasn't been allowed to be happy with his mate, so he got her to the person who could do what he couldn't. Leave it alone," Jake commanded angrily.

"If I leave it alone, how do I guarantee that the rest of my pack doesn't rebel like Paul has and whomever has obviously helped him? There is no way he acted alone, he's not clever enough. I am not okay with insubordination, so no, I am not going to lay off. He will be punished as I see fit and so will his co-conspirator."

"You don't have to worry about that now, you're no longer alpha. I am. You submitted to me, you gave your pack to me. You clearly can't handle this in the way it needs to be handled; any true leader would see that Bella should be with Sam. In the end, her own mate, Paul conceded to it. It's what is best for all of our kind. All selfishness should have been lost on you, knowing she was taken from another, you should have wanted to return her to the alpha who marked her. You wouldn't have thought twice about the power she could bring you because every instinct would be screaming at you to return her to him."

"We were in the middle of retrieving her from that dead-douche when he changed his mind. Paul's desire to please her became more important than his need to keep her safe. I wasn't just going to leave her with some vampire. Bella is the mate of a member of my pack and both him and I had seen first hand what the bloodsucker was capable of doing to her. Power appealed to me, my pack needs it, so I took it when it presented itself. They would get to see each other on a fairly regular basis and Paul would know that Bella would always be safe. It'd all work out and I figured, eventually, he'd sneak up and win his mate over. I'd bow out quietly, everybody wins because they'd finally be together and I would've gotten what my pack needs."

"I don't disagree Dom, but as an alpha my opinions do not matter. She's marked and I have no choice but to make sure she is back with Sam. Talking about it being any other way is making my skin crawl. As would yours if you were an alpha.

--------------------------
This story was the first real thing I had written, and I poured all of my ideas into this one fic. Chapter 40 was always the last chapter, it was going to be this long haul where everything was wrapped up. I got busy and never finished it. This story is a mess, but huge thanks to all the readers and commenters; you guys are amazing! Because I had previously spent so much time writing this I've always planned to come back and fix and finish this, I still plan to do that; kind of. There's just entirely too much going on, like three different ideas crammed into one story. And honestly, it's badly written. So I'm gave you guys, finally, this partial last chapter.