Chapter 6

I sat there taking in all the information Jake just gave me. I was saddened, but relieved. I was a crush and Jake had finally realized that and started to move on, which I'm happy about. His crush was starting to affect our friendship and I hated the thought of losing him again. I could've given him a chance and maybe we would have been great, but I couldn't chance the failure. I attached myself to the impossible, Edward, after losing Michael and it still blew up in my face. After finding out what Edward and his family were, I should've been afraid, but I was still pretty numb with denial because of Michael's death. I wanted to feel, but I wanted to make sure I could never get hurt. And with a vampire, a relationship just wasn't all that possible. Somehow I became attached and the kind of girl I had always hated.

When he left me in the woods that day, it felt like Michael all over again. The loss, not the situation. It took me a couple weeks to pick myself up, to realize he was fake. Edward is like that amazing thing you've been hinting at for Christmas that turns out to be a huge let down. You see the gift wrapped up in the beautiful; sparkly paper under the tree. When you finally get to open it, you deny your disappointment because there is no way, that after pining for it that it's not amazing. After a while, the glee of actually getting what you wanted wears off and you let yourself admit what a bust it really was.

"Bella?" Jake wondered, bringing me out of my stupor.

"I was just thinking. Sorry." In a way though, I'm disappointed. I would've been so simple with Jake.

"Yeah, seemed like you were thinking hard. Bout what? If you don't mind me asking."

"Everything," pink creeps to my cheeks, "you and me..."

"Now you start thinking of me? Unbelievable Bella." He chuckled.

"It's not like I've never thought of it before. I just. I'm too afraid to lose you Jake. That's what would happen, I'd lose you." I started to tear up; Michael looked at me, pained. Jake looked at me with sympathy and sorrow, and scooped me up into a hug.

"Bella, you'll never lose me. I promise, no matter what. I'll never let go of you."

"You swear?" The tears had started to fall.

"Of course. That damn Cullen. I'm so sorry."

"Is this about Edward? Because that relationship was joke. I sure in the hell didn't mean to leave you. And you didn't lose me, not really, I've been here the entire time Izz." Michael whispered softly, trying to keep the pain from his voice. "I love you Izzy and I didn't have to think about pushing you out of the way, I just did on reflex. I'd do it again, I would never take life away from you just for myself."

That just made me cry harder. I wouldn't have sacrificed Mike's life for my own.

"Please don't cry my sweet Izzy."

"Bella, baby, don't cry." Jake soothed. "It'll be okay. You'll never lose me and nobody will ever get away with hurting you again."

"I know, I'm sorry. I'm being stupid." I chuckled.

"You're not. And you could never be stupid. I know earlier you said you didn't want to talk about it, what's this dream about?"

I hesitated. "Tell him. you can't keep this to yourself. Jake seems like great, a good friend."

"Bells?"

"Do not listen to that boy. He knows nothing of our ways or what is even going on with you. Do not confide in Jacob Black; Sam is Alpha." The Voices started in.

"Izz."

"I was just being paranoid. The dream is nothing."

"Bella? Are you sure? You can tell me anything, ya know."