Chapter 18 (The back story)

To Vasi, who loves Sam so dearly.

"Mike don't." Isabella Swan yelled through her laughter.It was their six month anniversary and Michael was trying to take back the silver promise ring after Izzy complained about it being too much.

"But you don't like it baby. I don't want you feeling forced to keep something you do not like." He smirked, knowing her response. "Don't spare my feelings. I can just give to my other girlfriend anyways."

"Oh, shut up Harris!" She grabbed the ring back from him. "I love it. Absolutely, it's beautiful; It probably cost way too much. You didn't have to buy me anything at all." She smiled widely, staring at the ring. Like you could get another girl."

"Price doesn't matter. You can't deny that this screams your name, Izz. It's perfect and you love it, and I love you." He pecked her cheek lightly, taking the ring from it's box and slipping it carefully onto her left ring finger. And seeing you happy like this, doesn't compare to all the money in the world."

"Okay, Mr. Snobby-Rich Guy." She giggled, rolling her eyes.

"I wish." It was true, Michael Harris did wish he was rich. It had only been four months since his eighteenth birthday, but it his younger brother Kevin and little sister Macy had been in his sole care for two years. He never never complained though, he was a hard worker and a high school graduate. He had always done everything for his siblings; he was okay with it. He loved them. He was happy that their parents were put away.

"Oh, and Izzy, I would never want another girl anyways." He beamed.

Izzy blushed, smiling at him. "How did I ever score you?"

"That would be me." Kevin Harris, Michael's younger brother walked into the room. "Please tell me you aren't being all mushy Michael.

"You don't know a thing about romance, little brother."

"Might be true," he shrugged, "but I'm not whipped. I do believe Izzy now possesses your man card dude."

"I'll live, I'm sure."  He turned his attention back to his girlfriend, nuzzling into her.

Kevin was right; he was the reason his brother and Izzy were a couple. Kevin was just one day younger than Izzy. They have shared the same classes and teachers since second grade. They had been friends since seventh. The first time Kevin brought her home was eight months ago. They were science partners and had homework. He agreed to work at his place, which he didn't do often. The apartment he shared with his brother and sister was really small. It had one bedroom that he and Macy occupied, Michael was left with the decrepit couch. Normally, he would've worked at her house like always. Michael was at work and Macy was way too young to be home alone, so that Kevin left with no choice.

Izzy and Kevin had become closer in the last year, she helped him deal with everything going on in his life. She became his best friend, he became hers. It was first time that she'd meet Michael. Kevin was happy that that was happening. It meant that Michael would finally stop bugging him about meeting her. He was happy for his brother, Michael didn't date and never really shown an interest in dating. This was big.

"This is my humble abode." Kevin said sheepishly.

"There's nothing wrong with it Kev." Izzy told him.

"See! I told ya she wouln care." Six year old Macy squealed.

Kevin handed his little sister a banana, "go watch some TV Mace. No Jerry Springer either." Basic cable was one of their few luxuries.