Chapter 42

For the rest of the day, I lay in bed waiting for someone to bring a fresh change of clothes and a broom to clean up the broken glass in the bathroom. I didn't bother trying to sleep because sleep was impossible. Whenever I tried to put my head on the pillow, my mind would fill with thoughts and troubles of dead girls and broken hearts. Wistfully I remembered how a sleepless night for me would normally be caused by college essays and presentations, instead of ghosts and an annoying vampire husband.

Sitting in bed, I strained my ears to listen out for any sign life out in the corridor. I was surprised no one had checked up on me yet. I thought at least the evil nurse would have come in at some point during the day to check on me. But even she didn't bother paying me a visit. I had half hoped that Luc might have snuck back into the bedroom to see me, but he didn't. This was probably a good thing, because over the past eight hours my feelings for him had been fluctuating between madly in love, to just plain old mad. Seriously, if he walked through that bedroom door right now I don't know whether I would hug him, or throw something at him.

But secretly, I did want him to come back to me. Without him, I some how felt less of person ... which sounds crazy and feels crazy, but it was true. Some how he'd become part of me without me even knowing, and now the mere thought of loosing him filled me with as much dead and anxiety as loosing one of my vital organs. I partly hated myself for this sudden and unexplained complete dependence on this one person. In the past I'd always prided myself on being independent, strong and self reliant. I was never one of these girls who couldn't function without a boyfriend or significant other in their lives. I'd always been able survive by myself; and now everything had changed. Now, I seemed to rely on everyone.

I drew my knees up into my chest and shivered. The fire which had been warming the room, had died several hours earlier and the temperature of room was now becoming chilly. Pulling the bed sheets around me, I softly hummed a tune to myself trying to past the time and break up the mind numbing silence that filled the room.

Outside the room I suddenly heard footsteps in the distance, coming closer. I straightened up and waited in anticipation for the footsteps to either pass by my door, or stop outside. Quietly, in the depths of my heart, I prayed that it was Luc returning to see me. Holding my breath I waited to see what would happen.

The footsteps stopped outside my door, and there was a light knock. Then the door opened, and ... Nurse Poison walked in.

My heart sank.

The nurse beamed at me, "Good evening Your Highness -" her voice quickly faltered when she saw streaks of brown dried blood that covered my body and clothes. "Oh dear Lord, what happened to you," she asked, suddenly choking on her fake smile.

"I had an accident in the bathroom," I replied quietly.

The nurse turned and looked in the bathroom and gasped when she saw the broken glass and blood on the floor. She took a step towards the bathroom, then paused and in a low voice asked, "Is all of that your blood?"

"Yes. I would've of probably died if the Prince and Captain Nico hadn't replaced my lost blood with their own blood," I replied.

"They replaced your blood?!" The nurse asked with sudden alarm.

"Yes," I said calmly, "And do you know what the weird thing is? Now, I feel completely normal. It's as if my body has had a complete detox."

The nurse's expression fell for a second, but she quickly composed herself and said, "Well, you must be hungry for more blood after that."

My stomach rumbled in agreement, but I knew that there was no way in heaven or hell, I was going to except a dirty bag of poisoned blood from this woman. So with a polite smile I said, "Actually, I'm not all that hungry right now."