Chapter 11

“So if Henrietta is a vampire, why is she at my college campus?” I asked Nico.

We were sat in the basement lecture theatre waiting for my lecturer to figure out how to work the Power Point presentation. Nico sat next to me playing with a pen. He moved the pen through his fingers with an elegant grace, making the pen spiral between each of his digits. The accuracy of his movements was chilling, and imagined him practicing his skills with something more deadly, like a knife.

“Henrietta is married to Luc’s brother, and that makes her Queen. She will want to meet you to officially welcome you into the royal fold,” Nico explained.

“So wait, Luc is really a Prince? Isn’t the ‘Prince of Darkness’ or the ‘Dark Prince’ a kind of celebrity name?”

The corner of Nico mouth twitched in amusement and he struggled not to smile, “No Mia, Luc is a genuine member of the royal family. He is not a pseudo-prince. If he was then I would have not referred to you by your royal title,” He said.

“I have a royal title?” I said.

 “Yes, you are Her Royal Highness Princess Amelia,” He explained.

Nico had referred to me as ‘Highness’ before, but I had always thought he meant it sarcastically. I never considered marrying the Prince of Darkness would make me a Princess. This was crazy, I wasn’t even Princess material! I spent most my life in converses and jeans. I wasn’t like Henrietta elegantly swanning about in delicate couture. I was messy and scruffy, I did not pay attention to fashion or spend a small fortune on my hair and nails… I was more of an anti-princess than a princess.

Nico must have read my expression because he asked softly, “What is the matter Mia?”

I gestured at myself, “Look at me Nico, do I look like a Princess? I’m just an ordinary girl, I am no Princess and I am no Henrietta,” I said.

Nico smiled, “Good, you will be exactly what the court needs.”

“Oh great, now there is a vampire court!” I exhaled.

This was just what I needed, a nice large audience to watch me fluff up. Resting my head on the desk I closed my eyes and wished this would all go away. I imagined being wheeled out to a large audience of dignitaries to be introduced. Everyone would be wearing expensive and posh clothes while I would be dressed in my favourite band t-shirt and my lucky pair of jeans with a mended hole in the crotch.

“Luc is part of an ancient and powerful family that rules the Northern territories here in America. The court is their political stronghold and you will be expected to go and live in court one day as Luc’s bride, and a Princess of the royal family,” Nico added.

“This will not end well,” I murmured into the desk.

“Be strong little Mia,” Nico said, “This court needs strong women, they do not need fragile princesses. Fragile princesses like Henrietta break.”

The lecture theatre fell silent when the Power Point flashed on. I glanced across at Nico and gave him an appreciative smile. He was trying to make me feel better in very difficult circumstances. Yesterday I was normal girl, and today I was a vampire Princess. What can I say, life is a bitch.

The lecture was three hours long and by the first break I needed to go to the restroom. Now having a six foot something guy follow me to the ladies was not cool. After our earlier conversation I felt Nico and I understood each other a little better so when I explained I needed the restroom I made sure to point out the ladies room was literally next door to the lecture theatre.

“I am literally going to move three feet to left of that door, I will not need an escort to walk ten steps to my right,” I said.

Nico inhaled deeply, unsure of what to do, “I have strict orders Mia. I have to protect you-”

“And you will. If anything happens I will scream at the top of my lungs and you will be close enough to come to my rescue,” I said rationally.

After a few seconds of contemplation he cracked, “Okay, you can go to the restroom by yourself seeing that it is just next store,” He said.

“Thank you Nico,” I said getting to my feet.

“Mia, you better not pull anything,” Nico warned darkly.

I drew a cross over my heart and mouthed ‘I promise’ at him before rushing out the row of seats and out of the lecture theatre. Outside in the corridor there was a massive queue for the ladies restroom. This was normal at break time and I knew that if I went a couple of flights upstairs to the top floor, the restroom up there would empty.

This was against what Nico and I had agreed but I figured what he didn’t know couldn’t hurt him.

I rushed up the stairs to the restroom and sorted myself out. After I had finished I walked outside into the top floor corridor. I loved it up here. On the top floor I could see out over the town sprawl to the distant forests and mountains. Walking over to a glass window that stretched  from ceiling to floor, I took a moment to appreciate the view.

Normally the sky at this time of day would be filled with birds, but right now it was absolutely dead and I knew why.

Outside dark storm clouds were gathering.

Odd, I thought to myself, sunshine had been forecast. The eerie change in the weather made me feel that the storm had been invoked by some supernatural force. Rain began to hit the glass window and a flash of lighting forked across the gray sky followed by a loud crash of thunder that flooded the corridor with light. Ice began to fill through my veins and I instinctively cowered away from the window.

‘Mia?’ Luc’s voice suddenly rang in my head, ‘What is wrong?’

 My body felt rigid and awkward. I couldn’t think. All reason and logic had left me. Mentally I could feel Luc trying to get through to me but the combination of adrenaline and sheer terror was blocking him out of my mind.

I had phobia of storms- a really bad phobia.

Shaking I stumbled down the corridor trying to seek refuge from the terrifying crashes of thunder. I walked into the first empty seminar room along the empty corridor and cowered under one of the desks. Hugging my knees I rocked back and forth trying to cope with the overwhelming sense of fear.

Above me the thunder and lightning continued to fill the sky with terrifying lights and bangs. Outside the seminar room I heard people emptying the rooms upstairs and leaving the building. I wanted to shout out to them but each time I muster a little strength another clap of thunder sends me back into a nervous wreck.

Time passed and the storm continued. Daylight began to fade merging into twilight. The janitor pops his head through the seminar room door I am hiding in to check the room and then closes the door and locks the room for the night.

He doesn't notice me under the table, paralyzed with fear. Closing my eyes tightly hot tears roll down my cheeks. No one knew where I was and now I was locked in. Covering my ears I tried to block out the sound of thunder but it did not work.

I cried even harder.

Then there is an almighty explosion that rips through the air I let out a loud sob and protectively cover my ears trembling. Every muscle in my body tensed. Suddenly I felt strong warm arms protectively encircle me, pulling me against a hard wall of muscle. "Mia!"

I recognized Luc's voice but I can't move. He curses loudly and picks me up moving swiftly out the corridor. Opening my eyes I see we are moving rapidly down the corridor, I notice that every door of the top floor has been ripped off its hinges.

Luc must have been searching for me. Snuggling against his chest I buried my face into his shoulder. I loosen my arms and wrapped them round his neck. He turns sharply and kicks open a door and heads down a flight of stairs to the college basement.

Gently Luc places me on a gym mat and then quickly wraps an old blanket around me. The sound of the storm is barely audible underground. Luc wraps his arm round me. 

I managed to whisper. "Sorry." I was so ashamed of my stupid phobia. Glancing at him I can see the worry and stress etched across his face.

"I was going out of my mind with worry." He confessed raggedly drawing me closer to his side. He was so close and I couldn't help but rest my head on his shoulder.

"Sorry." I whispered again.