Chapter 60

The storm drain that the Old Queen had mentioned in her journal was the way Casper and Jacques had sneaked into the castle. The pond had been drained years ago and the storm drain connecting to the moat had been left bone dry. This made the task of getting through it less challenging as we didn't have to swim, but I still had to crawl on my hands and knees through the dust and dried mud. Once we got out, there was a small wooden boat waiting for us at the end of the tunnel. We all climbed in and as we began to silently drift away from the bank, Casper quietly warned me, "One noise from you, little sister, and I'll  have you hog tied and gagged."

"Charming," I muttered under my breath - I was starting to see why he was considered the black sheep of the family.

He shot me an ice cold stare and started to paddle the boat towards the opposite side of the bank. Jacques anxiously glanced up at the fortress walls and whispered, "Two guards posted on the east watch tower."

I looked up to the tower and saw two guards chatting to each other idly. Immediately I stood up inside the boat and yelled, "HEY-"

Jacques yanked me back down and clamped his hand over my mouth. "Are you crazy?" he hissed.

"Don't worry - I got this," Casper said lifting his hand and making a strange sweeping gesture in the air.

Thick white fog suddenly came rushing over the water out of nowhere and enveloped the boat. I desperately looked up at the watch tower and saw it fade rapidly into whiteness as we paddled further and further away. I squirmed in Jacques' arms trying to get free, but he held on to me even tighter. "Stop fighting us, Mia. We are trying to help you!"

"For Christ sake's Jacques, hurry up and gag her," Casper snapped impatiently.

Jacques' whole body tensed and he growled, "You're not touching her."

Casper eyes narrowed on Jacques and he replied, "Remember old friend, she's not your mate - she's my brother's wife, and that makes her my kin. Whether you like it or not, I am the one responsible for her safety and her virtue."

"And what is that supposed to mean?" Jacques snapped.

"You have a reputation for liking other men's wives," Casper sighed.

"No, other men's wives have a reputation for liking me. I don't go looking for trouble, trouble seems to find me," he said glancing down at me. "Besides, Mia is different - I found that out when I kissed her in the garage. I guess she's one of the few women who is immune to my charms."

"You kissed her!" Casper gasped.

Jacques ignored him and looked sadly into my eyes. My heart fluttered weirdly and I felt strange. His hand slipped from my mouth and gently caressed my cheek. "She is the only woman in the world that has ever broken my heart."

My heart missed a beat entirely as I found myself completely caught up in his deep brown eyes. I forgot how beautiful he is... Suddenly I pulled away from him, scrambling out of his lap and to the far side of the boat. He called after me, but stopped when Casper growled at him. "Leave her alone Jacques."

Reluctantly he sat back down and watched me from the other side of the boat. I turned my back on him, pretending to stare meaningfully at the thick whiteness that surrounded the boat. The cold air was stinging against my hot flushed cheeks, and I was struggling to understand what had just happened. Did he just confess he was in love with me?! My heart fluttered again and I felt a terrible guilt welling up inside of me. Oh god, what the hell was wrong with me! I was acting like a schoolgirl with a crush! But I wasn't in love with Jacques, I was in love with Luc.

The boat eventually slowed down and drifted up against a lush mossy bank. Casper stood up and jumped onto solid land. "Come on, we'll walk from here'" he said.