Chapter 10

I decided to hide the ladies restroom until my next lecture. The ladies toilets were one of the few places on campus I could hide from Luc and Nico. Neither of them would dare to adventure into this sacred feminine space. Anyone brave or foolish enough would have hell to pay from the female faculty and student body. No one liked a pervert on these grounds, and I swore that if Luc or Nico did try to find me, I would scream bloody murder.

Standing alone in the toilet stall with nothing but my thoughts I wondered how becoming a vampire would change me as a person. I felt human but I wasn't anymore. Was I going to become a merciless killer like most books and films depicted vampires to be- had I lost my soul?

Frightened I stood motionless in a toilet cubicle terrified over my future. How was I going to explain this to my parents? How was I ever going to visit them in Florida when I could barely stand the dull northern winter sun?

‘You had no right to turn me into a vampire!’ I yelled mentally at Luc.

Luc quickly replied in a mocking tone, ‘Are you still hiding in restroom?’

I did not bother answering back. The physical longing I had for Luc an hour ago had thankfully long passed and now I was back to my normal bitter angry self. But it still troubled me why I had wanted to kiss Luc so badly in that moment of weakness. Perhaps my vampire pheromone theory was right, or maybe it was down to a lapse of judgment in the heat of the moment. Luc was not a bad looking guy after all and I could understand why any female would find Luc attractive. He had a dark mysterious look about him that was completely photogenic. His dark hair and dark eyes, everything about him screamed LA model or Hollywood actor. I couldn’t understand why it was necessary for someone that good looking to kidnap a wife. Furthermore, why would one of the handsomest men in world kidnap me?

I exited the toilet cubicle and stared at my reflection in the mirror, and all I saw a plain girl with scruffy hair and baggy clothes. What was so special about me? Why had I been chosen to marry Luc?

Miserably I headed for my next lecture.

When I opened the restroom door I was not surprised to see Nico leaning against the wall opposite waiting for me. When he saw me he straightened up and took a few steps towards me.

“Highness,” He said curtly.

“Listen Nico, I do not need a baby sitter,” I groaned.

“Do I make you uncomfortable Highness? I could call Jacques to join us if that would put your mind at ease,” Nico said without the tiniest hint of offense.

I lifted my hands in the air and said, “You do not make me uncomfortable Nico. What you, and Luc do is annoy me. I did not ask for this and I do not want it. So go back to Luc and leave me alone. And please do not call me your Highness.”

I turned from Nico and started to walk away, but like before Nico did not take a blind bit of notice and started to follow me. I was too tired and frustrated to complain so I let Nico quietly walked behind me, leaving a gap of several feet between us.

We passed the cafeteria heading down towards the basement lecture theatres. The halls at this time were busy with students moving from one class to another. Moving with the flow of students I began to descend down the stairs when something caught my eye.

Coming up the stairs between the two flows of students was the beautiful lady I had ever seen before. Behind me I heard Nico groan, “What is she doing here?”

The lady moved with an unearthly grace. She was stunningly attractive, the type of attractiveness that was plastered over every top fashion magazine. Every male straight or not was staring at her. She had huge brown doe eyes, and porcelain skins, her facial features were soft and delicate, absolutely flawless. Waves of brown hair framed her face, and fell all the way down to her waist. Looking around I could see that every boy in the class was in love with her, and every girl wanted to be her.

I found myself transfixed on her perfect appearance.

“Who is she,” I asked Nico.

“Her name is Henrietta,” Nico replied.

Henrietta flashed a cordial smile at me as we passed then glided on upwards.

“She is gorgeous,” I whispered feeling a little insecure.

“Look at this girl for what she is Mia. See past the façade,” Nico said softly.

Glancing at Henrietta, I couldn't understand what Nico was trying to point out.

“She is gorgeous Nico,” I said.

“But how does she feel?” Nico asked.

“What do you want me to do, go and touch her?” I said sarcastically.

Nico sighed pressing closer to me as the crowd pressed against us.

“Reach out with your vampire mind and feel her. Feel her energy, feel her life force- does feel friendly, happy, or sad?”

I stared at her, sideways. Henrietta was at the top of the stairs now, moving away with the rest of the crowd. I studied her closely and saw her eyes were two big black empty voids in the middle of face which had no expression. The smile she had given me was cold, without any feeling. In a clinical sense she was beautiful but she felt almost numb, cold, empty- dead.

“Do you understand now Mia?” Nico asked.

“I do, everything about her is like a doll, on the outside she's picture perfect but inside she's hollow. This sounds silly Nico, but she doesn't feel human to me.' I said uneasily. 

'She's not human.' He replied.